Modern Art

You'll struggle to beat these. One is called 'empty sculpture stand' the other is 'blank canvas'.
Mind you, an all white work sold for $15M in 2014, so what do we know?......

article-2146436-1328CCAD000005DC-736_634x491.jpg

Has the bubble burst where this style of art was raved about and valued in six and often eight figure sums now that the tools to create great photos and pictures are at your fingertips on a phone or laptop, is that good or bad?

Having the equipment to create something doesn't automatically mean that you can.

That's part of the problem with modern art, people think that anyone can do it but they can't.

The end result doesn't just happen, there's usually a process involved in arriving at that result.

Some people dismiss Lowry's paintings for example because 'anyone' can paint matchstick figures.

What they might not realise is that Lowry could actually draw and the matchstick figures were the end result of years of developing and abstracting his style.

Tits are magnificent. Doesn't constitute modern art!
I've chosen a bad example haven't I? It's not just because it's a fit skinny bird with a nippon poking through her garment. But how that was fashioned from marble. Marble! You're a builder worsleyweb .. tell us how much of a ball ache it would be to even make a doorstep out of marble with modern tools.

I've chosen a bad example haven't I? It's not just because it's a fit skinny bird with a nippon poking through her garment. But how that was fashioned from marble. Marble! You're a builder worsleyweb .. tell us how much of a ball ache it would be to even make a doorstep out of marble with modern tools.

I am going to paper mache mrs ww,s tits tonight. Will let you know in the morning.

That's part of the problem with modern art, people think that anyone can do it but they can't.
I agree with the last bit, someone once posted on this forum how Instagram has created an entire generation of photographers.
The first bit though, I meant that in recent history only a select few people became famous for their art and nowadays with more exposure more people have the chance to have their work viewed (idk how to express it) and that the select few promoted artists weren't much better than that kid off a council estate with a smartphone camera.
Other arts like in music are unanimously agreed upon. (Noel Gallagher is a better guitarist than the busker from Market st a few years back who looked like Lenny Kravitz for example)

EDIT. I don't want to get into the reality tv show X factor thing please!

The present girlfriend (who's an art teacher) says you don't have to understand it, in fact don't even try so she says.

I just look at it in puzzlement a la Homer Simpson styley.

I would however say that the whitworth is well worth a visit as is the Yorkshire sculpture park but that's a separate subject altogether. HOME is a waste of space.

They don't do anything for me, and I'm a designer/illustrator/photographer . I think a lot of modern art is just conceptual toss, if I see a piece of art I want to be wowed by either it's artistry, creativity, impact, scale, or all 4,regardless who has produced it, I want to stand there and think, "I couldn't do that!" ,or "how the fuck has s/he done that?" Or "I can see the graft and craft that's gone into executing that concept" in fact I'd rather have some art by a chimp/elephant on the wall, than some pretentious bed messing, shark pickling, or brick stacking tosser.

The argument about modern art generally seems to involve dismissing anything that isn't easily understood.

However it's often abstract thinking that leads to advances in understanding.

http://www.tate.org.uk/context-comment/articles/art-culture-and-camouflage
Now, this I rate, I design a lot of camouflage from scratch myself, using the "dazzle Camo " and some more recent tech Camo concepts that are currently all over the place, in fact this is one of my designs in Tesco now

https://www.tesco.com/direct/ff-geometric-camo-print-t-shirt/731-6448.prd

As is this

https://www.tesco.com/direct/ff-abstract-print-t-shirt/564-2787.prd

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.