Monaco - Post Match thread.

We have played Fernandinho in that role before... Infact he was great at the beginning of the season. In hindsight and with Monday morning quarter backing , then Yaya should have played but I still retain that the set up was alright. It was the players like Fernandinho that did not show up and was poor. They simply did not perform their roles- perhaps the novel scenario of being two goals ahead played in their minds and so they did not know how to handle the situation but by the second half, their goals became clearer and minds clearer as to what they needed to do.

Monaco was great when they have the ball but we were poor without it and even poorer with it- Fernandinho, De Bruyne and even Silva at times. The players did not show up in the first half and played better in the second.

This.

Some of our fans are an absolute joke, we got beat by the better team on the night.

Pep specifically said numerous times we need to attack we cannot try defend our lead, the players decided to try defend the lead whether by choice or forced by how good Monaco were.

Monaco harassing us for 45 minutes in the first half. They were just onto us and did not let up for 45 minutes. 15 minutes of that and we lost confidence after that much pressure. Resorted to back passing and that was really not done with any real confidence. Second half was better. We played better and troubled Monaco quite a bit. Missed some good chances. Monaco did not pressure so much in the second half which allowed us to at least pass the ball. Just gutted about their last goal. I know Pep wants to push forward but not during set pieces. That defensive line was bonkers. Summary is that they were chasing us down and were more aggressive and we lost confidence. Simple as that. Monaco were the better side on the night and new what they needed to do. We could have sat back and defended all night but we would have not wanted that. Gutted we are out, really gutted. Next year now.. such a long wait. My Son cried. Character building I told him.....

Last edited:
The worrying thing for me is that it seems Pep has been planning for tonight since the last match against Monaco, yet still seems to have got it so so wrong. In the 3 games previous to tonight he has given a rest to Silva, KDB and Fernandinho respectively. It was so obvious that Yaya when was going to be on bench tonight seeing as he played the other 3 games. Unfortunately we needed Yaya out there tonight more than any other player.

He's a strange beast Pep. The only manager I know who plays the same front 6 every game while he constantly changes the back 4. No consistency what so ever. I hope he turns it round and it is far too early in his reign to pass judgement. Yet it is fair to say that I am not overly impressed with him just yet.

One thing though, Kolarov takes an almighty amount of Shit on this board. Yet I think he has been our best defender this season. I thought he played well tonight. His distribution was great and he was one of the only ones who looked like he was really trying.

Something not right, that first half was embarassing. And then the end, di me a favour.

If it's the same in 3 years, probably not.

Imo its the biggest change in football quality I've ever seen at City, probably anywhere. If Sergio was the player from 3 seasons ago, we'd have buried Chelsea & still be in he Champ's Lg, in spite of any weaknesses imo.

Totally agree with this.

It's a very clear, very definitive change. We are not delivering it consistently yet, but it's there. Clear as day.

If it's the same in 3 years, probably not.

Imo its the biggest change in football quality I've ever seen at City, probably anywhere. If Sergio was the player from 3 seasons ago, we'd have buried Chelsea & still be in he Champ's Lg, in spite of any weaknesses imo.

We had a big change in football quality when Pellegrini won the league and cup double - that was at the very least the equal to what Pep produces - and he did it without the quality at Peps disposal , we failed to improve the squad and have done it again .Pellegrinis team have outscored Peps City and if I'm not proven wrong have conceded less per game aswell ?

Think we are all a bit misty eyed about Pep to be honest , he's got time on his side but this season has been bang average for me , not having this revolutionary stuff to be honest.

Im certainly not turning on him...the guy si a fantastic player but he was awful tonight along with others but he was the worst of the lot.....lack of fight isn't about creating chances but his passing was awful, he looked half a yard of the pace and their midfield were running around him like he wasn't there. I know he is getting use to the new demands that Pep is placing upon him (he has said it himself) but his performances have been way off for a lot of the season.....he has had some good moments but a lot of average ones as well which for someone with such high standards unfortunately stand out.......

think he needs a rest (ala sergio) to give him a bit of his fight back
I take it you are talking about KDB? If so, he was much better 2nd half. We were a bit unlucky to go out and I feel sorry for players, manager and fans who travelled.

Time to regroup and go again. get back in the competition and do better next year.

This.

Some of our fans are an absolute joke, we got beat by the better team on the night.

Pep specifically said numerous times we need to attack we cannot try defend our lead, the players decided to try defend the lead whether by choice or forced by how good Monaco were.
It's always nothing to do with the manager isn't it ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.