Monday night football with Neville and Carragher

supercrystal7 said:
IH8MUFC said:
Thought the part on mignolet and arsenals corners was interesting last night. They really put these clowns on BBC and ITV to shame. They wouldn't notice the stuff that Neville Carragher pick up on.
Neville and Carragher are usually brilliant, but the stuff they were saying yesterday was nonsense. To criticise Mignolet for that goal or even comparing him to Neuer was pointless.
You're missing the point. The technique was being compared. Neville was showing why standing in a different stance was more effective for long range shots.

IH8MUFC said:
supercrystal7 said:
IH8MUFC said:
Thought the part on mignolet and arsenals corners was interesting last night. They really put these clowns on BBC and ITV to shame. They wouldn't notice the stuff that Neville Carragher pick up on.
Neville and Carragher are usually brilliant, but the stuff they were saying yesterday was nonsense. To criticise Mignolet for that goal or even comparing him to Neuer was pointless.
You're missing the point. The technique was being compared. Neville was showing why standing in a different stance was more effective for long range shots.
But the whole basis for the point wasn't backed up, just because Neuer does it one way doesn't mean it's correct. Claiming that you can't get high because your knees are bent seems just fundamentally wrong, if you want to jump high then you need to bend your knees to project yourself upwards? (at least I do at any rate)

He's not a goalkeeping coach, he has no insight whatsoever into what the correct technique for a keeper is, so it seems wrong for him to be claiming someone is doing it wrong when he actually is ignorant on the subject. People eat that stuff up as it seems like insight, as he's put a lot of detail into it, but there is absolute no evidence as to if what he's saying is even remotely true. If a famed goalkeeping coach told me that was the wrong technique, then I might be more inclined to listen, but he even stated that his only knowledge on goalkeeping was from a very brief bit on his coaching licence.

I actually thought Neville made a lot of sense about Mignolet.

It wasn't a mistake, but would a top keeper have saved it? I think so.

It's fine margins at the top and those sort of saves are the difference between a good and a great goalkeeper.

Delia Smith said:
I am already fed up of having them both on my tv screen. Carragher's voice grates me.

what...you can actually hear it

I only know he is speaking when my cat suddenly perks its head up

BigOscar said:
IH8MUFC said:
supercrystal7 said:
But the whole basis for the point wasn't backed up, just because Neuer does it one way doesn't mean it's correct. Claiming that you can't get high because your knees are bent seems just fundamentally wrong, if you want to jump high then you need to bend your knees to project yourself upwards? (at least I do at any rate)

He's not a goalkeeping coach, he has no insight whatsoever into what the correct technique for a keeper is, so it seems wrong for him to be claiming someone is doing it wrong when he actually is ignorant on the subject. People eat that stuff up as it seems like insight, as he's put a lot of detail into it, but there is absolute no evidence as to if what he's saying is even remotely true. If a famed goalkeeping coach told me that was the wrong technique, then I might be more inclined to listen, but he even stated that his only knowledge on goalkeeping was from a very brief bit on his coaching licence.

Bollocks. He wasn't on about the knees, he was pointing out the position of their arms.

If you're pointing out a fault in someone doing their job poorly, do you not show best practice to demonstrate why?

I think the format is getting a little stale, time for a change me thinks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.