Most influential railway engines

These locos (GCR 8K/LNER 04) were introduced in 1911 and later developed as the standard steam loco of World War One and literally helped to win the war.

Apart from serving in France, some examples found their way to all manner of distant countries, including Australia. Of course, most ended up in the UK, and served in huge numbers on the LNER, and in lesser numbers on the LMS and GWR.

These engines were designed (and many built) in Gorton, Manchester. One of the finest steam locomotives ever built.

1720293263829.png

The class 47 (or Brush Type 4). Much maligned as many railway enthusiasts thought they were boring, but they built 512 of them, they could do anything from slow speed freight to high speed passenger, were reliable, easy to maintain, and lasted in mainline service for over 40 years.
And I'm part owner of the loco featured in this article...

BBC News - Railway locomotive celebrates 30 years of service

Last edited:
The class 47 (or Brush Type 4). Much maligned as many railway enthusiasts thought they were boring, but they built 512 of them, they could do anything from slow speed freight to high speed passenger, were reliable, easy to maintain, and lasted in mainline service for over 40 years.
And I'm part owner of the loco featured in this article...

BBC News - Railway locomotive celebrates 30 years of service

And still a few in service to this day, on specials, I know West Coast railways have a few, see them bombing down main line back of my house regularly, they were a top loco the brush

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.