Most momentous International event in your lifetime?

1 - Coleraine bombing 1973 which murdered 6 pensioners - 1st time being aware of terrorism. Aged 11 watching both bombs explode out school window.
2 - Soldier's caught up in the IRA funeral
3 - Ballykelly bombing - my friend Valerie got murdered
4 - 9/11
5 - Covid

1. Death of Diana
2. 9/11
3. 7/7 Bombings
4. Tsunami
5. Paris Attacks.

All horrific really. But all very big on the news.

9/11 changed the world.

I was thinking about this the other day, how mental is it that you used to be able to smoke on Aeroplanes....

9/11. The world changed forever that day. Just very surreal watching it live for 9 hours. Remember all TV feeds switching to New York after the first plane hit and pretty much everyone thinking it was a terrible accident but then watching the second plane slam into the second tower I knew it was much more serious than that. Then the reports came in about the pentagon and fiight 93 it was just unreal. Really couldn't process it.

Berlin Wall. Remember watching than live. it was just after my birthday and as a 14 year old kid didn't really fully understand what was happening. The next day in school we had a special assembly and our headmaster explained how significant this was for Europe and the rest of the world and that it was the beginning of the end for the Soviet Union and he was right.

93:20 & the takeover. No explanation needed I think.

Oh also the birth of my son!
And now some people have re created a type of Berlin wall built because of brexit
Clueleas!

First Gulf war in 1990 was the most memorable event for me. I think it was the first time they covered a war in depth with actual boots on the ground film crews etc. It was riveting late night Tv coming in from the pub…

I'm so surprised no one has mentioned the dramatic event much closer to our homes that changed our local landscape. The bombing of the Mcr Arndale centre. I recall placing my ITV 7 on that Saturday morning and being in a local bookies when that bomb went off. Though I was about a couple of miles away the sound of the blast always remained with me.

First Gulf war in 1990 was the most memorable event for me. I think it was the first time they covered a war in depth with actual boots on the ground film crews etc. It was riveting late night Tv coming in from the pub…
No mate. Vietnam was the first 'televised' war and the fact that American viewers saw everything whilst having their breakfasts eventually turned public opinion against the war.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.