Moths, wasps and spiders..

-dabz-

I always have a window open day and night and in all seasons and I don't think I've seen a big flappy moth all year, or one of those big bastard spiders that periodically invade my house that I have to scoop up and launch...I think I have seen about two wasps all year and Crane flies seem to be awol as well. I spend about six weeks a year in rural Wales and although I've spotted a few rare things I've never seen before, the common stuff just hasn't been around, in my back garden or in Wales. Tons of flies and fruit flies though... I don't ever remember having a problem with fruit flies or even know anyone who did.
Just been my experience...I seem to recall last year being the same. Anyone else notice this?

I always have a window open day and night and in all seasons and I don't think I've seen a big flappy moth all year, or one of those big bastard spiders that periodically invade my house that I have to scoop up and launch...I think I have seen about two wasps all year and Crane flies seem to be awol as well. I spend about six weeks a year in rural Wales and although I've spotted a few rare things I've never seen before, the common stuff just hasn't been around, in my back garden or in Wales. Tons of flies and fruit flies though... I don't ever remember having a problem with fruit flies or even know anyone who did.
Just been my experience...I seem to recall last year being the same. Anyone else notice this?
Yes, we have had the usual giant spider home invasion, but the regular punctuation of the evenings entertainment by Mrs Flooks screams is missing (she's terrified of moths). No Crane flies and no wasps (cunts is correct on this) and less bees all summer

Oy @idahoblues stop being a redneck. Wasps are good. They pollinate flowers, fruit trees, crops the lot. We have done just about everything we can to kill bees who also do all of the above, we need wasps more than ever.
OP, yes there are less of most native creatures thanks to insecticides and pollution.

Fuck it, I'm going to block the M25 tomorrow.

Definitely less of them all and I live in a semi rural area too, seen quite a few more ‘Bumble Bees’, but one thing I’ve noticed is that I’ve had to put diluted sugar down for them when I’ve found them quite often, maybe the overtime is too much for them ?

Your house is too cold so they're going next door.
At home...possibly...Still doesn't explain why I haven't seen them at the remote cottages I've stayed at...This year I stayed in one on the Llyn peninsula, Bodorgan in Anglesey, Llangynog, Llanrwst, and Maenan....All usually teeming with moths, craneflies, spiders the size of my head a particular delight of the cottage...None all year. I've counted about two wasps...that's it.

Definitely less of them all and I live in a semi rural area too, seen quite a few more ‘Bumble Bees’, but one thing I’ve noticed is that I’ve had to put diluted sugar down for them when I’ve found them quite often, maybe the overtime is too much for them ?
I was going to mention about seeing more bees in my OP...But I thought, Fuck 'em...They already get all the sympathy and attention as it is. Their problems are self inflicted...If the thick mawkish little cunts took those ridiculous stripey jumpers off they could fly faster, further, longer and they could fit into smaller flowers. But no.. Style over efficiency every time, so they all insist on dressing like Sting in his early days...Give it a rest bees, even sting moved on and he's a massive twat.

Bees. The scousers of the insect world..

It’s an indicator of food chain collapse.
The use of chemicals in intensive farming has almost eradicated life from the soil.
In the 70’s you couldn’t drive for an hour in summer without having to mop the dead moths, bugs and whatever off your windscreen - they even sold additives for your window washers on the strength of their ability to remove dead bugs from the glass.
If something splats against your windscreen nowadays it’s a unusual event - maybe one squished bug for every thousand we encountered 50 years ago.
The planet’s fucked and our kids’ll suffer the result of our unsustainable lifestyles but there are still plenty of doinks happy to spray poisons, proud to drive gas guzzlers and boastful about the long flights they take . . On the whole I recon the sooner we wipe ourselves out the better it will be for the remaining vestiges of what was once a planet rich in species.

Last edited:
It’s an indicator of food chain collapse.
The use of chemicals in intensive farming has almost eradicated life from the soil.
In the 70’s you couldn’t drive for an hour in summer without having to mop the dead moths, bugs and whatever off your windscreen - they even sold additives for your window washers on the strength of their ability to remove dead bugs from the glass.
If something splats against your windscreen nowadays it’s a unusual event - maybe one squished bug for every thousand we encountered 50 years ago.
The planets fucked and our kids’ll suffer the result of our unsustainable lifestyles but there are still plenty of doinks happy to spray poisons, proud to drive gas guzzlers and boastful about the long flights they take . . On the whole I recon the sooner we wipe ourselves out the better it will be for the remaining vestiges of what was once a planet rich in species.
Although I take issue with one or two things you've said, you do make a bloody good point about bug splats on windscreens.. Some cars were caked in it when I was a kid. That really is a first class observation, thanks for that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.