Movie Discussion Thread | Upcoming Releases etc..

It's a pivotal part of the character's dependence to make life more interesting as he could just take your life there and then, but he wants fate to decide for him.

It adds fun to the 'inevitable' for him and he becomes a slave to the coin toss (this is all from memory btw!).

If he just decided to do what he wanted, what would the point of the film be...?

I am looking at this from an editor's point of view. At this point Anton is established as our bad guy. We already see how ruthless he is. For the sake of running time, do we need the coin toss scene? Especially after he ruthlessly kills the guy with the airgun? From an editor's point of view we do not need this scene.

And yet..... It is an awesome scene. It is so well written, so acted tthat it would be a crime to cut it. This is my original point. Every movie is predictable what makes them GREAT is the character scenes.

It is not a necessary scene for the story of the movie. But it is a great character scene. That is why we watch movies. Not to predict the plot but to see how the characters solve/deal with the problem

I am looking at this from an editor's point of view. At this point Anton is established as our bad guy. We already see how ruthless he is. For the sake of running time, do we need the coin toss scene? Especially after he ruthlessly kills the guy with the airgun? From an editor's point of view we do not need this scene.

And yet..... It is an awesome scene. It is so well written, so acted tthat it would be a crime to cut it. This is my original point. Every movie is predictable what makes them GREAT is the character scenes.

It is not a necessary scene for the story of the movie. But it is a great character scene. That is why we watch movies. Not to predict the plot but to see how the characters solve/deal with the problem

But dropping certain scenes omits the nuance for some films.

Let's take the garage scene when 'Chigurgh' encounters the owner and an innocuous moment that ramps the tension up in milliseconds. Cos the garage owner asks a flippant question that feigns interest in 'AC' he wants to kill him. Sure, the scene looks like nothing, but you're suddenly scared for the owner.

Most films would have had the coin flip in slo mo as we view it all, but not the Coens. This is brief, a blink of an eye & your life is over.

Telling the owner to keep the coin 'safe' is significant to knowing how close he came to dying.

That scene is the total microcosm of who 'Chigurgh' is.

It's bloody brilliant!!

Kinda a cynical view point? You could apply that view to any film, really. The joy of these movies, and all movies really, is in the detail. The specific actions in scenes.

A good example of this is the coin toss scene in "no country for old men". A completely unnecessary scene yet an incredible scene.

We watch these movies for the interactions between characters. The brilliance of the writing and the acting.

Surely it's a tad disingenuous to draw an equivalence between the brilliance of writing and acting in a movie like No Country for Old Men and the Avengers?

And I wouldn't argue that the coin toss scene is pointless - it establishes part of the moral code/cold hard way of thinking of Anton.

I am quite interested in the theory of Thanos's reasoning. the simple and obvious counter is "create more resources" BUT life again would rise to meet what could be offered creating a lot more suffering. There is a name for that line of theory/law of nature but it escapes me.

Surely it's a tad disingenuous to draw an equivalence between the brilliance of writing and acting in a movie like No Country for Old Men and the Avengers?

And I wouldn't argue that the coin toss scene is pointless - it establishes part of the moral code/cold hard way of thinking of Anton.

I address your second point first. Anton's moral code is established throughout the movie. That is he is a killer, stone cold. I want to go on record here and state that I LOVE the coin toss scene but if the intention is to show how stone cold he is doesn't the murder of woody harrelsons character do this? Or the murder of the guys at the scene of the Mexican drug deal do this? Or killing the guy with the air gun do this? From an editor's point of view it is an unnessary scene yet I totally see why it was kept in. Because it is a brilliant scene.

To address the first point there has scenes of tension in Marvel movie. Rewatch iron man saving the village in his first movie, or the scene in guardians when Groot dies. These are great scenes. The scene between Bucky and Cap while fighting in Winter soldier, or the scene between iron man and cap after stark learns who really killed his parents. These are all brilliant scenes. Well acted and written.

My original point was these movies are just deserving as critical acclaim as much as so called Oscar winning movies.

Green book was a great movie. But the standout movie last year was infinity war.

I am quite interested in the theory of Thanos's reasoning. the simple and obvious counter is "create more resources" BUT life again would rise to meet what could be offered creating a lot more suffering. There is a name for that line of theory/law of nature but it escapes me.
Malthusian theory?

Apparently in the comics Thanos killed off half the universe's population for an entirely different reason; to impress a lady friend. If that's true I suppose they just made his line of thinking the way it was as it's the easiest and simplest fit that maintains the infinity gauntlet and universe half erasure aspects of the story.

We've not seen much of Banner in these trailers for end game, he's noticeable in a couple shots but from memory i don't think he's in any of the shots of the Avengers together or when they have their suits on, or when they're on the ship going to (presumably) fight Thanos. I think he'll tell them that since he can't get the Hulk to come out he doesn't think he'll be any help to them and will instead stay back to help them in another way. Apparently some of the toys that have been released indicate that there is a possibility for Professor Hulk to turn up, i won't say who that is in the comics so as not to throw a spoiler but i'd personally rather see The Hulk beat the shit out of Thanos than Ironman, although i think they'll leave it to Stark since they've made him the main guy in all of the MCU.

What would everyone say to Stark standing down (rather than being killed) and passing the torch to another person to become Ironman?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.