Mr Cook

I always seem to have a differing opinion to the crowd when it comes to Cook.

I said people were talking complete shite when they were all kissing his arse during the first six months he was here, thanks to a few soundbites. They had little idea about what he was doing behind the scenes but were willing to swallow any old line of corporate bullshit and spin.

Oh, and the ''he had a good job at Nike so he must know what he is doing" is priceless.

Much more successful, experienced and intelligent men than Garry Cook have turned their hand to football and turned out to be complete buffoons in the business. That isn't a dig at Cooke or a reason why he should fail, just a comment on the idiocy of those who use this type of reasoning.

Then opinion starts turning on the basis of a few complete and utter gaffs from the bloke and people start saying he is a complete joker because of them. Still barely bringing what he is doing in his day to day job into their reasoning.

The Kaka comments - people were loving it, I thought he was a complete clown and unprofessional.
The Uwe/United comments - people were seething but I think it was just an unfortunate slip of the tongue.
Hugging Tevez at the door - one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen, but almost to a man people were lauding it. Small time, camara hungry and a bit pathetic.
The Mancini press conference - People seething again, I thought he told the truth and the pres spun it into lies to defend their bumboy hero who had been rightly sacked.

I, and most people I imagine, have little to no idea about the real job that he is doing and the PR bit is not the way to judge someone. If he makes a couple of gaffs but is doing his job well where it mattters, ie: things we don't hear about, then it shouldn't matter. If he isn't doing that welll, then that is when he should be getting the chop.

Saying that though, he really should be aware enough to know that it is time to shut his big gob for a while. He is a figure of fun to everyone outside City and if you think that this sort of comment brings any benefits to the team whatsoever(as if the players hear it and think "Wow, listen to Mr Garry, we all believe now when we didn't before") then you are sorely mistaken. This sort of thing just brings unwantedd baggage to the job at hand.

Alaricmc said:
I think Cook has handled the media with some skill.

Are we talking about the same person? The bloke in charge at City? Or do you mean someone else?

Alaricmc said:
I happen to know (I can't say why but I'm not claiming to be ITK - other than on this one thing) that Garry has found the Mancini press attack very discouraging - it's been a difficult time for him.

If that is honestly the case then I am very worried.

That is possibly the only one of his so called cock ups that he should not be worried about. It was a hatchet job by press men who had posters of Hughes on the wall 15 years ago. They took his words and ignored the content, twisted them and basically lied about the situation. Cook has nothing to worry about with that one imo.

However, in comparison, if he isn't concerned by the affects of some of his other foot in mouth effortd then he must be mental

Cheltblue said:
Ricster said:
Its called mind games. The guy is being positive about our club.

Some people moan when the press is being negative but we have our CEO being positive and people still moan.

So you're happy enough with him telling the world that we are already at Wembley?

On the face of it, it sounds positive, and great, and lets book the tickets for Wembley.

But come on, have some grace, and humility and professionalism. Do a club of Citys future intentions realily need their CEO setting them up for a potential big f*cking fall.

The 'biggest and best club in the world' statement i kinda conceeded early on in the thread, but not the Utd sh*te.

When did he say we were at Wembley? He didn't mention any time scale, what was said was

Not if, but when we get to Wembley.

What the hell is up with that? One day we will be at Wembley, but who knows when, so he was stating the obvious. nothing wrong with it in my eyes.

He didn't once say we would be at Wembley this season. Nowhere in that video, did he?

JohnMaddocksAxe said:
Alaricmc said:
I think Cook has handled the media with some skill.

Are we talking about the same person? The bloke in charge at City? Or do you mean someone else?

Alaricmc said:
I happen to know (I can't say why but I'm not claiming to be ITK - other than on this one thing) that Garry has found the Mancini press attack very discouraging - it's been a difficult time for him.

If that is honestly the case then I am very worried.

That is possibly the only one of his so called cock ups that he should not be worried about. It was a hatchet job by press men who had posters of Hughes on the wall 15 years ago. They took his words and ignored the content, twisted them and basically lied about the situation. Cook has nothing to worry about with that one imo.

However, in comparison, if he isn't concerned by the affects of some of his other foot in mouth effortd then he must be mental

John, we're simply going to have to disagree.

If you're talking about Kaka, well, I don't think staying silent was an option in the face of Berlusconi's orchestrated media tactics. The press were having a field day - claiming we were too small to attract a player like that. Milan reneged on privacy commitments, rubbing our nose in the dirt to further Berlusconi's personal agenda. Cook judged that appearing brash was better than appearing irrelevant in the market, and he was right. Cook's willingness to be crucified by the media (and don't believe for one moment he didn't expect it) redirected the spotlight. We were still seen as a big player after that supposed gaffe (and of course given our backing we must be seen that way anyway - I'm not saying otherwise) but I do wonder what damage might have been done in the short term by not responding to the betrayal and by simply going away with our tails between our legs. I think that when more comes out about "Kakagate" - and it will -those comments will be viewed in a different light.

No offence intended. Everyone has an opinion.

Why do some people whinge about Mr Cook every chance they get? It's OTT and uncalled for and it helps no bugger.

Might I suggest you all be mindful of the audience to whom he was speaking. As an American, we believe a lot in self-confidence, if you are good or if you have ambition it is perfectly acceptable to show it. That's the culture here. For a man who has spent many years in the States, Cook will have known very well how his message would be received here. Modesty would not have played quite so well.

My opinion for what it's worth, ( I haven't read every post ) is that you are all a bunch of defeatest twats. Believe!!! We are going to be THE biggest club in the world. If we don't beat united we will have to endure a ferocious piss take from scum fans and media, regardless of what Gary said. He does put his foot in it from time to time, that isn't in doubt, but bigging up our beloved football club should be a pre-requisite of every single fan and employee of this club of ours.

Ricster said:
Cheltblue said:
So you're happy enough with him telling the world that we are already at Wembley?

On the face of it, it sounds positive, and great, and lets book the tickets for Wembley.

But come on, have some grace, and humility and professionalism. Do a club of Citys future intentions realily need their CEO setting them up for a potential big f*cking fall.

The 'biggest and best club in the world' statement i kinda conceeded early on in the thread, but not the Utd sh*te.

When did he say we were at Wembley? He didn't mention any time scale, what was said was

Not if, but when we get to Wembley.

What the hell is up with that? One day we will be at Wembley, but who knows when, so he was stating the obvious. nothing wrong with it in my eyes.

He didn't once say we would be at Wembley this season. Nowhere in that video, did he?

If he wasnt talking about this season, then he would have probably gone one better and said 'not if, but when we win a trophy', wouldnt you agree with that? To me it was very clear what he was talking about.

And dont tell me he was not on about 'beating Man Utd again' this Wednesday? You think he was saying possibly next season, season after, 5 years time, 10 years???

Cmon Ricster, you're havin a laugh.

Cheltblue said:
Ricster said:

If he wasnt talking about this season, then he would have probably gone one better and said 'not if, but when we win a trophy', wouldnt you agree with that? To me it was very clear what he was talking about.

And dont tell me he was not on about 'beating Man Utd again' this Wednesday? You think he was saying possibly next season, season after, 5 years time, 10 years???

Cmon Ricster, you're havin a laugh.

Do you not think we will go through on Wednesday night?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.