Much Love to Steven, Nicola, and Little Ruben

I wasn't expecting to pop on here and see this thread this morning, but it's reduced me to tears when I saw it earlier. I've spent the day with Nicola and the little guy, but I wanted to come back to it when I had a little time to pass on my thanks to you all.

Firstly, today has been a lot like yesterday. A good day! There was initial disappointment after the consultant told us he'd like us to stay in for a few more days to complete a course of antibiotics to be on the safe side, despite everything looking very good and his health seemingly excellent. It of course makes sense, but in the earlier hours of the day, operating on basically zero sleep in days and fighting a huge, primal urge to be at home nesting, it was a little disappointing. I defo got a little emotional when the consultant left the room.

We quickly calmed of course, and given we had nothing to do other than sit in our room, we basically spent the day just holding little Ruben, lovingly gazing at him sleeping and taking about a billion photos to send to the grandparents ha. He felt a lot more alert too than the other days. It was great fun watching him be wide awake, following us about with his eyes and treating us to a billion and ten odd little cute facial experiences. It's all so new, but given everything we've been through, it feels like a lifetime so I found it surprisingly easy to forget that he's literally just five days old. Keep having to remind myself! Ha.

Hopefully we'll be home by midweek, but anyway, the real point of this message. I just wanted to say thanks to each and every one of you in this thread. You're all lovely, wonderful people. I'm a firm believer of the old saying 'a problem shared is a problem halved'. I think it's an important truth, and an immensely powerful viewpoint that can change and fix things for the better. Threads like this are great examples. The messages we've had from people we've never met before, likely from all over the world too, are just ridiculously lovely.

It does help. Truly. It honestly reassured us reading the replies on here and Twitter, that others have gone through the same. We go through a lot as parents, people, friends whatever...and knowing that so many have fought through similar horrific times and come out the other side even more in love with the people around them does give you an extra little push of positivity and solidarity exactly when you need it. So once again thank you. You're a wonderful bunch and you make me even prouder to be a blue! ha.

As I'm sat typing this, my wife is to my side getting some much needed rest (quick aside, fuck me, childbirth is intense isn't it? how she's managed to deal with all this despite everything she went through physically is a minor miracle. women are absolute machines ha) and little Ruben is opposite me wiggling away slowly rousing for another feeding session. He's fucking beautiful. I can't stop staring at him, but I also can't stop thinking how we'll be home soon and how before I know it he'll be at the Etihad watching a City game with us all. I can't wait. Thanks once again all. Lots of love, Steven, Nicola and Ruben :) x
Good to hear things are looking up Steven, all the best.

I wasn't expecting to pop on here and see this thread this morning, but it's reduced me to tears when I saw it earlier. I've spent the day with Nicola and the little guy, but I wanted to come back to it when I had a little time to pass on my thanks to you all.

Firstly, today has been a lot like yesterday. A good day! There was initial disappointment after the consultant told us he'd like us to stay in for a few more days to complete a course of antibiotics to be on the safe side, despite everything looking very good and his health seemingly excellent. It of course makes sense, but in the earlier hours of the day, operating on basically zero sleep in days and fighting a huge, primal urge to be at home nesting, it was a little disappointing. I defo got a little emotional when the consultant left the room.

We quickly calmed of course, and given we had nothing to do other than sit in our room, we basically spent the day just holding little Ruben, lovingly gazing at him sleeping and taking about a billion photos to send to the grandparents ha. He felt a lot more alert too than the other days. It was great fun watching him be wide awake, following us about with his eyes and treating us to a billion and ten odd little cute facial experiences. It's all so new, but given everything we've been through, it feels like a lifetime so I found it surprisingly easy to forget that he's literally just five days old. Keep having to remind myself! Ha.

Hopefully we'll be home by midweek, but anyway, the real point of this message. I just wanted to say thanks to each and every one of you in this thread. You're all lovely, wonderful people. I'm a firm believer of the old saying 'a problem shared is a problem halved'. I think it's an important truth, and an immensely powerful viewpoint that can change and fix things for the better. Threads like this are great examples. The messages we've had from people we've never met before, likely from all over the world too, are just ridiculously lovely.

It does help. Truly. It honestly reassured us reading the replies on here and Twitter, that others have gone through the same. We go through a lot as parents, people, friends whatever...and knowing that so many have fought through similar horrific times and come out the other side even more in love with the people around them does give you an extra little push of positivity and solidarity exactly when you need it. So once again thank you. You're a wonderful bunch and you make me even prouder to be a blue! ha.

As I'm sat typing this, my wife is to my side getting some much needed rest (quick aside, fuck me, childbirth is intense isn't it? how she's managed to deal with all this despite everything she went through physically is a minor miracle. women are absolute machines ha) and little Ruben is opposite me wiggling away slowly rousing for another feeding session. He's fucking beautiful. I can't stop staring at him, but I also can't stop thinking how we'll be home soon and how before I know it he'll be at the Etihad watching a City game with us all. I can't wait. Thanks once again all. Lots of love, Steven, Nicola and Ruben :) x

Just read through this mate, and wanted to send you and your family much love and strength at what has clearly been a terrifying time for you all.

Sounds like you’ve all got through the worst part though, and he’s going to be just fine - which is wonderful to hear.

Wishing you and your family all the best - stay strong mate!

Glad everything is ok. Went though pretty much the same thing when my lad was born.

The day after he developed a fever and jaundice and was put into ICU. I can totally understand what you and Nicola are going through/went though. Me and my ex were in absolute bits for 4 days but he pulled though. Like you said the staff and nurses at St Mary's were incredible to help us though it. They do a fantastic job.

He came home on the 22nd of September 2013. The day we smashed the rags 4-1 which I always take as a good omen!!

He is now a very healthy, hyperactive and Minecraft obsessed 9 year old.

Much love x

Good news mate and glad you are all doing well. Hopefully you managed to get some rest and you'll all be home soon. Crazy how the world just totally changes in an instant isn't it when your first child is born, nothing prepares you for it at all and the love you suddenly have for this little person who appears in your life.

Wish you and your family all the best mate.

Many of us understand the fear of an unwell child/grandchild and it’s the most terrifying thing people go through.

Glad to hear there’s an end in sight to go home and hope the little fella makes a speedy recovery.

Look after him and your mrs, sounds like you’re doing a good job.

All the best Steven. So pleased all is now ok. Fantastic to see a happy outcome and a reminder to everyone about what is really important in life.

Just seen this story… Really hope he continues his recovery and you all get home quickly and well. Theres nothing worse as a parent than having something wrong with one of your children…and I’m afraid it doesn’t get any better as they get older, it simply magnifies down through children, grandchildren and great grandchildren ‍♂️I’ll never forget the feeling of helplessness when you can’t do anything to help them.

Anyway, fingers crossed … let’s hope the combined well wishes of the Bluemoon Community help in some small way.

Glad things are improving. It's a real rollercoaster. I remember thinking I was prepared for the arrival of my first, but they don't warn you about what's to come at all. You're quite right, women are machines - to go through that ordeal and then be tasked with feeding and bonding with a baby when you're at your lowest and could sleep for a week. I don't know how they manage it. Keep talking, keep writing and you'll all be fine. Communication is the key. Your wife will get tired and shout and you might have had a tough day at work and not be in the mood for it. It took me until lockdown and a period on furlough leave to tell my wife how much easier it was for me not having to switch between working me and parent me. And I'm much better now for having that conversation.

All the best, look after each other and enjoy your time with Ruben. The Dias will fly by! ;)

All the best for you all

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.