munich and the truth

I feel I have to respond even though I'm more of "Lurker" here. In addition I haven't read the whole thread, so I apologise if I'm going over old ground.

As far as I'm concerned, any loss of life in such a manner is tragic. Regardless of club colour, colour of skin or difference in blood group...we're all Human....someones son, someones daughter.

However, what I get frustrated at, like many other Blues, is the manner which this tragedy is brought up every February, with two or three page spreads in every national newspaper.

Whilst comparisons cannot be made directly, two other tragedies of a similar nature took place in the UK during the last 25 years. These being Lockerbie and Kegworth. Go back a little bit further, the Airtours disaster at Ringway is another.

I'll discount Lockerbie if I may, as this was a terrorist attack and has been at the forefront of the news even in recent years with the return of the alleged culprit to his homeland.

However, and I could be wrong here, I don't think the 55 which perished at Ringway, or 47 at Kegworth are remembered/revered in such a manner on an annual basis? I have no relatives or friends involved in any of these disasters, so have no agenda. But these tragedies were just as horrific, and memories and acknowledgement of the fallen, for families and friends should be just as vivid and important(?)...so why no parity???

In addition to my point. How many professional footballers have tragically passed on whilst still in their prime playing the beautiful game? Are they rememberred on an annual basis in such an fashion by their clubs?

I can't sit here and question how members of their club have acted in the past. I wasn't around then having only been born in '71. However people still obviously remember the manner in which some of our counterparts were treated.

I think the time has come after so many years, for United to acknowledge their loss, but also try and move on. They could start by asking the papers, SSN etc to play down the fact that the anniversary of the tragedy is about to take place.

It really is a difficult one, but I think if they could find some medium of acknowledging the past, without it being intensly recalled in the present, they may receive some empathy from Blues?

Manx Blue said:
I feel I have to respond even though I'm more of "Lurker" here. In addition I haven't read the whole thread, so I apologise if I'm going over old ground.

As far as I'm concerned, any loss of life in such a manner is tragic. Regardless of club colour, colour of skin or difference in blood group...we're all Human....someones son, someones daughter.

However, what I get frustrated at, like many other Blues, is the manner which this tragedy is brought up every February, with two or three page spreads in every national newspaper.

Whilst comparisons cannot be made directly, two other tragedies of a similar nature took place in the UK during the last 25 years. These being Lockerbie and Kegworth. Go back a little bit further, the Airtours disaster at Ringway is another.

I'll discount Lockerbie if I may, as this was a terrorist attack and has been at the forefront of the news even in recent years with the return of the alleged culprit to his homeland.

However, and I could be wrong here, I don't think the 55 which perished at Ringway, or 47 at Kegworth are remembered/revered in such a manner on an annual basis? I have no relatives or friends involved in any of these disasters, so have no agenda.

In addition to my point. How many professional footballers have tragically passed on whilst still in their prime playing the beautiful game? Are they rememberred on an annual basis in such an fashion by their clubs?

I can't sit here and question how members of their club have acted in the past. I wasn't around then having only been born in '71. However people still obviously remember the manner in which some of our counterparts were treated.

I think the time has come after so many years, for United to acknowledge their loss, but also try and move on. They could start by asking the papers, SSN etc to play down the fact that the anniversary of the tragedy is about to take place.

It really is a difficult one, but I think if they could find some medium of acknowledging the past, without it being intensly recalled in the present, they may receive some empathy from Blues?

I'd like to agree with you. However, how can we expect United to let it go if City, Leeds, Liverpool etc. fans still sing about it on a regular basis?!

liamctid said:
Manx Blue said:

However, and I could be wrong here, I don't think the 55 which perished at Ringway, or 47 at Kegworth are remembered/revered in such a manner on an annual basis? I have no relatives or friends involved in any of these disasters, so have no agenda.

I'd like to agree with you. However, how can we expect United to let it go if City, Leeds, Liverpool etc. fans still sing about it on a regular basis?!

Very true Liam....but is this not brought on by them "refusing" to let it go?

Can't see the scum ever letting go off their "cash cow". I was a kid of 8 when the disaster occurred and I grew up thinking that the German word for money was "munich"! It was only when I did German at secondary school that I found out it was actually "geld" - almost as disappointing as finding out that Father Christmas was a figment of my parents' imagination!

As a Red (Rag), I do not like the way the club has behaved in this manner. There are some genuine city fans who have posted well thought posts on this thread, and for that I salute you for it.

What I would say is that I hope that the view is good from the moral high ground that many of the posters on here have taken. Many have taken this as another excuse to have a pop at United and the behaviour of the club and it's fans.
Every club has it's minority, and the next time I hear the Munich songs/references being sung, I hope these same people with the high morals and care for the victims and survivors will behave accordingly.

friend said:
As a Red (Rag), I do not like the way the club has behaved in this manner. There are some genuine city fans who have posted well thought posts on this thread, and for that I salute you for it.

What I would say is that I hope that the view is good from the moral high ground that many of the posters on here have taken. Many have taken this as another excuse to have a pop at United and the behaviour of the club and it's fans.
Every club has it's minority, and the next time I hear the Munich songs/references being sung, I hope these same people with the high morals and care for the victims and survivors will behave accordingly.

I fully agree singing about it is as sick as profiting from it. 23 people died that day (or just after) and I have never sang about it for that reason. Shankly was wrong football isnt more important than life its self. To be honest I havent heard it sang on mass by City fans for a few years now lets hope thats the end of it, its a shit song to sing we are better then that.

friend said:

I honestly feel that the Munich chants are a thing of the past, and I don't know any rags who go on about the M.A.D. as much as 'some' blues do. It's not really banter or even a public infomation service, it's oneupmanship of a despicable nature. And it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. This is only a minority of blues stuck in the past and they are thankfully a dying breed.

It's only been once but I've been with reds who have referred to Hilsborough. Thankfully, the majority educate them on how to behave.This followed Liverpool singing about Munich, but that shouldn't be an excuse. It's a collective responsibility of everyone, regardless of club, to correct this.

friend said:

Fantasic post 'friend' I wish we could rid our own club of of the retards that sing sick songs about people that have lost their lives.

bluegaz13 said:
friend said:

Fantasic post 'friend' I wish we could rid our own club of of the retards that sing sick songs about people that have lost their lives.

well said, and no doubt the rags wish their retards would stop singing inflammatory songs too

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.