Must see documentaries..

There's a great 3 part documentary on the iplayer at the moment which covers the Battle of the Somme. We are always told about the horrendous first day and calamitous mistakes made by Generals but was intriguing to hear how the battle progressed over the summer months.

It's good but Peter Barton takes a rather unusual approach. I found some of his pro-German stuff to be unpalettable. Episode 1 was excellent.

It's good but Peter Barton takes a rather unusual approach. I found some of his pro-German stuff to be unpalettable. Episode 1 was excellent.

The man does take an eccentric approach in the documentary.

It was odd how pro German he was. I thought his take on the allied handling of prisoners was quite unfair. Obviously I wasn't there and neither was he but I have mostly heard accounts where Brits looked after German POWs well. It is often suggested that once the Germans would surrender with their hands up, the Brits just allowed them to walk past and hand themselves in, plenty of footage displaying how accommodating allies were to the Germans. Both sides had respect for each other, they were doing the same job being dictated to by clueless Generals. I have heard accounts of Brits who gave German machine gunners a hard time and would just slot them due to the devastation they had caused, not sure if this was a minority of cases or was typical.

Barton could have balanced things out by citing the death and devastation caused by the Germans to French/Belgian civilians etc.

I do think his overall view on the Somme was accurate, it's a tough pill to swallow but we do have a blinkered and glorified view of what happened. Barton nails the truth in that Haig was a butcher, it was a tactical retreat for the Germans with the allies not taking up much ground but no doubt inflicted some impact on the Germans. The tragic period sums up the whole war I think in terms of waste of life and attrition.

Yes, I thought I was pretty much de-sensitised regarding war documentaries but this is mainly from the perspective of ordinary people who lived through it and you almost do gain a sense of what it must have been like.

Same as that. You can’t help but put yourself in the situation those poor people were in. And then the Russian army turn up!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.