My Dog bit me..

Accidents can happen in the heat of the moment where dogs & food are concerned. I'd test the dog by taking his food again, with and without warning, see if he seems to regret the earlier offence. It's kind of a lesson in status for a dog; if you can take their food without any drama, the other rules fall into place and you'll both live happily ever after.

If he has a doghouse, smash it’s windows and set fire to the roof. That will teach the ****.

Was it the hand that feeds him?

My boy snapped at me once when he was finding his place in the pack so i booted his food bowl away and shouted loud "NO NO NO" all the wile taking any space i wanted in the room. That night i ate first and he was booted out of the room and given no scraps. He was fed outside that night and when i put his bowl down i made it clear i was still not happy with a deep loud "MOVE" when he was in front of me and i was going to put it down. As i was going to place it down he got told "BACK, SIT", the bowl did not touch the ground until he did. By now he knew he was being dominated and his ears were down along with his eyes not daring to look at me. I pretended to eat some first then put it down. I waited a minutes to see if he moved, he didn't move a muscle so i said "go on then" and he started to eat. Then i made a "Ahh Ahh" put my hand right on the bowl and moved it away 3-4 times. He sat down and accepted it totally.

Never since has he ever even showed a hint of food aggression. Basically you need to let him know that is your food and if you want you'll dig it out of his gob. Eyeball him menacingly if he looks at you when you next eat. If he does put your food down, get up asserively and "OUT, OUT NOW" and lock him out the room. Always feed him after you!
Some good tips here.

Yeah, apart from the SHOUTING, staring menacingly and locking up bits.
You don't necessarily need to shout, but tone of voice is important. Nothing wrong with making eye contact with your own dog either and exclusion is a good way of training them.

You don't necessarily need to shout, but tone of voice is important. Nothing wrong with making eye contact with your own dog either and exclusion is a good way of training them.

Locking a dog in a room as a training method achieves precisely nowt.

The whole notion of 'domination' is an outdated training method that belongs in the stone age.

The whole notion of 'domination' is an outdated training method that belongs in the stone age.

Can you explain what you would do then? Genuinely interested in alternatives.

lol, i applaud your ideals sir but try it in the real world.

Shouting is a bit strong a term i walked around the room with a booming deep voice that drowned his senses. There was no anger in me or he would have cottoned on to that and got ready for a fight. I just dominated the room, didn't look at him just walked where he was forcing him to move away. He knew his mistake right away but it needed hammering home hence he was not on my xmas card list when he got fed that evening.

When you have the food and look to your dog he should show submission or at least an excitement not born of "give that to me now or else". It is a fun safe time where they can relax and not worry their food will be taken away. That is your job to give that confidence. My boy will eat right next to his daughter now with no worries. She will only go to his bowl when he has walked in the front to sit down, she will check he has then check his bowl. He knows i will not let his food go away nor will i ever steal it, if i touch it then it is for his benefit. For example he gets a ham bone, if i pick it up and move it upstairs it is because i want it safe from his daughter. He just trots up after me.

You probably think the pack mentality is based on fear, it is not, a strong smart dog demands absolute boundaries or they get confused then they turn nasty.

That's you sorted, but what should he do with the dog?

ho-de-ho... Perhaps as I'm sinking to the bottom the hound will alert passers-by to my predicament - it can then be featured on That's Life and receive the love and affection the poor mutt will then deserve. The OP and his life-saving wonder dog can then embark upon a world tour featuring on assorted prime-time interview shows and make their fortune, all thanks to my very helpful suggestion.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.