My loss of faith in city fans

JohnMaddocksAxe said:
Interesting thread this.

Speak to most City fans and most will tell you that Sven could not have been expected to do any more during his brief time here. He is remembered as a popular manager who took over a shite team and raised them to a level that was totally unexpected, suffering a down turn during the end of his time here that even the most biased observer would have to concede was at least somewhat influenced by the clown running the club.

However, 18 months ago if this same thread were here it would have been filled with bitter comments about how Sven ruined the club and left it as one of the very worst outfits ever to be present in professional football. Unfortunately, that was a time where the manager at the time was hell bent on running down anyone at the club prior to his time. And unfortunately a lot of blues fell hook, line and sinker for it.

Now it seems, with the benefit of time and not having the constant, daily, drip, drip PR job doing a hatchet job on Sven's time here, people have returned to viewing Sven's time here more objectively.

In my opinion, no-one in their right mind would want Sven to return here now, but he did a very commendable job in a small amount of time and it was terrible that we used to have so many blues swallowing the natchet job bullshit that the previous manager used to spread about him, purely in order to excuse his own shortcomings

sven did an ok job i will give him that but as is proving know he is a dinosaur stuck in the 90's that had no plan b when his tactics got sussed.

cool guy and top manager in his time but his time passed after england.

Skashion said:
I have a friend who knows more about football than anyone else I personally know who thinks we'd have been better off with Sven than Mancini or Hughes. It's not such an easy thought to dismiss.

Does your friend know you wank to him?

i liked sven and if he finished the second half of the season as he started the first half things could have been different but obviously teams sussed us out and he had no plan b,he was the swedish version of mark hughes or mark hughes was the welsh version of sven and they both couldn`t take us to that next level....step forward sir bob...forza mancini....

One of the best managers we've had in my 34yrs watchin City, agree with a prev poster in that we would have won something had he remained.
Held in high regard by Bob and Mourinho, both of who learnt a lot from him.

Took us to the top of the premier league for the first time in three decades, won at the swamp for the only time I remember.

A few Wiki facts!.. :

Eriksson became the first Manchester City manager since 1969–70 to win both league derby games against Manchester United and also achieved the joint highest Premier League point total in the club's history.

After mentoring City's best season for decades, the team announced that they would go on strike against the threat that club owner Thaksin Shinawatra would sack Eriksson if he did not allow greater intervention in tactics and strategy from the Thai.
Eriksson rejected any interference but also persuaded his players against potentially damaging their careers by an all out strike. In the last game of the season, City suffered an 8–1 loss to Middlesbrough; the biggest defeat of Eriksson's career and an unprecedented season result that led many to conclude that the team had conformed with Eriksson's advice but had "gone on strike" as a symbolic protest during the game.
City ended in 9th place in the league, one place away from the UEFA Cup 2008–09 qualifying positions. City subsequently qualified through the extra place awarded to the Premier League in the UEFA Fair Play League for 2007–08.

Eriksson is so far the only manager who has achieved the league-and-cup double in three different countries (Sweden, Portugal and Italy).

Germany 1–5 England World Cup qualifier 2001
England 1–0 Argentina 2002 World Cup
Improved England's FIFA ranking from 17th (2001) to 5th (July 2006)

Managed to reach the quarter final in three consecutive tournaments (WC 02, Euro 04, WC 06). No other European country achieved this during this period, and on an international level only Brazil.
England was also, apart from Sweden, the only European country that did not suffer elimination from group play or failure to qualify during this time (2001–2006).
Achieved the highest point percentage in Major Tournament Matches of all time for an England manager.[11]
Lost only 3 full-time competitive games and achieved top qualifying place in all three International tournaments during his five and a half years as England manager.
Rated by the FA as England's 2nd most successful Manager after Alf Ramsey.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.