Nasri's surprising stats vs Silva

Saif1994

Hello everyone,

Some of the statistics from last season were quite surprising to me. In particular, these pass completion stats from the premier league:

David Silva Pass Completion was 85.4%

Samir Nasri Pass Completion was 90.8%

Now, it must be pointed out that Silva made about 12 more passes per game, however it also shows just how valuable Nasri is to our team. We were very quick to write Nasri off, even though he is still 26 years old, simply to make way for Isco. (By the way, I've seen Isco play for Real Madrid and he's a quality player offensively in terms of creativity, dribbling and passing, but he simply does not provide enough defensively and can lose the ball quite easily. He's only 20 so its understandable.)

It could also have something to do with Nasri's more cautious approach. This is of course a good thing as Silva is the man to take risks and try out difficult passes and dribbles whereas Nasri will be relied on to hold up the ball and pass the ball around safely. Every team needs this balance just like with Iniesta & Xavi, Schweinsteigger & Kroos etc.

Nasri also provided 7 assists and scored a couple of important goals. Silva did 1 better in terms of assists, and scored 2 more goals. Arguably both of them had rather poor seasons and we can only hope they will improve this year under a new system and style.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41XBcSn4Rfs[/youtube]

Either way, I'm just making a point that we are undervaluing Nasri even though his stats were very much comparable to Silva's. Just as we were undervaluing Dzeko (not anymore I think). I'm not sure where this player preference or rejection stems from but I think everyone is susceptible to doing this. Perhaps its because of the media or that we are taking a player's reputation or achievements with the national team into account. Both players can improve next season, but they are a lot closer in terms of ability than many people think. The burden on these two players is especially higher now that Tevez has left although we add a new dimension with Navas and Jovetic.

MCFC BOB said:
Anyone who pirouetted and passed sideways every time he touched the ball was guaranteed to have a high pass completion percentage.

But is that a bad thing to have someone doing that? Xavi does it. So does Pirlo. Nasri combines these qualities and still manages to press forward almost like a left winger.

Stat's are like chocolate teapots, fucking useless. If you base everything on stats then you spend 20 million on Stuart fucking Downing. If you watch the game either on tv or at The Etihad then you would see Nasri's a talented bottler and Silva's world class. I wish we got Mata for the Silva money.

Your ridiculous stats Make no differentiation between a defence-splitting, chance-creating pass and a stupid, negative, move-destroying backwards pass. That's why they don't show the yawning gulf in class and effectiveness between silva and Nasri .

MCFC BOB said:
Saif1994 said:
Either way, I'm just making a point that we are undervaluing Nasri
No you're not, you're just advertising your YouTube channel (again).

And the fact that you're comparing Nasri to Xavi and Pirlo is hilarious and incredibly generous to Nasri.

Xavi had a 94.8% pass completion in La Liga, Pirlo had an 87.3% pass completion in Serie A. I'm not comparing him to them, but simply their stats. The passing stats alone don't show the full story.

And you just proved my point because you said 'incredibly generous to Nasri' which means you are undervaluing him.

*Btw, cover your eyes if you don't want to see the video. To me it makes the post more interesting as you can see what he did last season.

-- Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:03 pm --

Kun Aguero said:
What on flying fuck is "a gliding ghost"?

Lol no idea dude!

-- Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:05 pm --

Kun Aguero said:
Stat's are like chocolate teapots, fucking useless. If you base everything on stats then you spend 20 million on Stuart fucking Downing. If you watch the game either on tv or at The Etihad then you would see Nasri's a talented bottler and Silva's world class. I wish we got Mata for the Silva money.

Thats the thing though. Don't you think we need a balance? Silva and Mata together would be too attacking, too liable to lose the ball when we need to keep it under pressure from the opponent.

Anyway, I still think we should support all players as some players become worse with criticism like Nasri.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.