Nathan Ake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aguero was

His was sought after for sure, but I seem to remember much of the speel at the time being about Juve et al not willing to meet Atletico's valuation. I think the point the other guy was making is that as good as our signings have been we've never really gone head to head with one of the old g8 style European clubs in a transfer deal and come out on top

His was sought after for sure, but I seem to remember much of the speel at the time being about Juve et al not willing to meet Atletico's valuation. I think the point the other guy was making is that as good as our signings have been we've never really gone head to head with one of the old g8 style European clubs in a transfer deal and come out on top
The thing is you generally don't really hear much about it, other than rumours, because it's all done behind closed doors with the agents. As I understand it, by the time a bid goes in, it's generally confirmed which club the player wants to go to. When was the last time you heard about any two big clubs fighting it out publicly for a big player? I'm sure loads of clubs could have triggered Rodri's release clause, but they're not going to bother without the go ahead from his agent. It's likely that he was informed of who was interested, picked us, and so all of the other clubs left it.

But having said that, I definitely remember strong rumours about how Bayern really wanted De Bruyne before he came to us.

The issue of 17 Foreigners + Home Grown has less impact in Spain / Italy / Germany. 1 They have better players to start from and 2 the best are concentrated in fewer clubs. When you think RM and Barca pretty much have the pick of the Spanish national team as Home Grown where as the English national team has far less quality and what there is then gets split across the 6/7 decent English clubs. RM / Barca / B Munich / Juve would never take a player like Harry Maguire as they can fill there squads with much better home grown players - the pick of the national teams. We have a shallow pool and many more decent clubs that need decent English players.
Very true, i think the club have every intention of using our full quota of league associated on club associated where ever possible but i do not believe we buy enough top youth from our competitors at the right age to fill that quota
As for Ake he would still be at Chelsea if he would play LB as he was not good enough at LCB

The thing is you generally don't really hear much about it, other than rumours, because it's all done behind closed doors with the agents. As I understand it, by the time a bid goes in, it's generally confirmed which club the player wants to go to. When was the last time you heard about any two big clubs fighting it out publicly for a big player? I'm sure loads of clubs could have triggered Rodri's release clause, but they're not going to bother without the go ahead from his agent. It's likely that he was informed of who was interested, picked us, and so all of the other clubs left it.

But having said that, I definitely remember strong rumours about how Bayern really wanted De Bruyne before he came to us.

WIth Aguero he wanted to go to Real Madrid and had asked to be sold. Atletico Madrid were furious about it because they and Real had formed a truce 10 years earlier after Raúl moving from Atleti to Real Madrid caused a massive friction between the clubs which Perez was happy to break for Aguero. On top of that, just a few months earlier Aguero had pledged loyalty to Atleti and signed a new contract.

After that came out publicly, shit hit the fan in Spain and Aguero couldn't stay at Atletico because the fans turned on him, and selling to Real was almost impossible from a PR point of view. We capitalised by offering Atletico a club they could stomach selling to and someone convinced Aguero of "the project".

The issue of 17 Foreigners + Home Grown has less impact in Spain / Italy / Germany. 1 They have better players to start from and 2 the best are concentrated in fewer clubs. When you think RM and Barca pretty much have the pick of the Spanish national team as Home Grown where as the English national team has far less quality and what there is then gets split across the 6/7 decent English clubs. RM / Barca / B Munich / Juve would never take a player like Harry Maguire as they can fill there squads with much better home grown players - the pick of the national teams. We have a shallow pool and many more decent clubs that need decent English players.
Add to that the fact that Premier League clubs are all stinking rich, so they can charge much higher prices because they don't need to sell.

I'm not convinced that Ake would be anything other than a utility player for us covering multiple positions. He's obviously tidy on the ball, but I worry about his aerial ability, especially as that's already a weakness of ours. I was just watching his performance against the rags earlier last season where he actually had a pretty good game, made an important block and showed some good anticipation overall. And then in the last minute, he goes for a fairly simple header unchallenged, misses it, and it drops to Rashford who scores. Obviously it's unfair to judge a player on one performance, and one mistake, but people are praising him for his organisation of the Bournemouth defence. They conceded more goals than anyone other than the bottom two. I know a lot of that's down to their style of football, but it doesn't inspire confidence. Perhaps Pep sees something in him, perhaps even in midfield, but as a commanding CB for a title winning team, I can't see it. Having said that, I'm sure Pep knows what he's doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.