Nathan Ake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love Laporte but he’s some way off Maldini at the moment - the guy was one of the best defenders I ever saw play and he was a right footed left back and a joy to watch in that Milan defense of the 80s/90s - hope he does get there though whilst with us
That is your opinion but i disagree totally. He is already at that standard and has shown his ability to read the game at the higherst level i feel. The nostalgia clouds your judgement imo. Laporte does it in a high intensity league where the level of opposition meets or exeeds that of anything Maldini faced. Would he cut it now, certainly but i stil feel we would be splitting hairs.

I respect your opinion but i feel often nostalgia is a silent bias. The cut and thrust of the prem this day would see Maldini having to prove himself as much as Laporte or VVD game in game out. I suppose the hard question would be who would you prefer, personally i'd keep Laporte but would be happy with Maldini to. They have similar effects on their team imo with Laporte just not getting the attention Maldini did.

Edit: sorry for the offtopic, happy to take this to the Laporte thread, it's a good debate.

Last edited:
Good signing this and the fee is reasonable. Let’s remember that there were plenty here that didn’t rate VVD or Mane when they were at Southampton. They’d prefer to sign relatively unknown players from mid-table Italian or Spanish sides for whatever reason.

Ake is a competent and consistent defender. He reads the game reasonably well, is deceptively quick and can defend one-on-one situations much better than most. No obvious discernible weaknesses. He is young and has a very high ceiling. What’s not to like?

Ederson is a not very good shot stopper?

I'd go to a game mate, when it's allowed. Be sure to ask directions to the ground, make sure you put your ticket in the right way up so as not to appear like an armchair fan at your first game, find your seat and watch the fucking game keeping an eye on our goalie.

Don't buy a half and a half scarf after is my top tip.

Hope this helps.
tenor.gif

Love Laporte but he’s some way off Maldini at the moment - the guy was one of the best defenders I ever saw play and he was a right footed left back and a joy to watch in that Milan defense of the 80s/90s - hope he does get there though whilst with us
Laporte is so, so important for us and he's still young. All he needs is a stable partner, and Koulibaly seems to be a player who can slot right in as his partner.

Snapchat-389161398.jpg

Without and with Laporte, from Feb. 2019:

Matches: 24 - 19
Points per game: 2.0 - 2.9
Goals conceded: 29 - 6
Goals conceded per game: 1.2 - 0.3
Goals conceded from inside penalty area: 24 - 3
Goals conceded from open play: 21 - 1

This just goes to show that Laporte is irreplaceable for us, but he still needs a solid partner. Just imagine Laporte and Koulibaly together. It would be the absolute best CB pairing in the Premier League and we would avoid a lot of unfair losses with those two at the back. Fingers crossed we will sign him.

Laporte is so, so important for us and he's still young. All he needs is a stable partner, and Koulibaly seems to be a player who can slot right in as his partner.

Snapchat-389161398.jpg

Without and with Laporte, from Feb. 2019:

Matches: 24 - 19
Points per game: 2.0 - 2.9
Goals conceded: 29 - 6
Goals conceded per game: 1.2 - 0.3
Goals conceded from inside penalty area: 24 - 3
Goals conceded from open play: 21 - 1

This just goes to show that Laporte is irreplaceable for us, but he still needs a solid partner. Just imagine Laporte and Koulibaly together. It would be the absolute best CB pairing in the Premier League and we would avoid a lot of unfair losses with those two at the back. Fingers crossed we will sign him.
Jesus this isn't even funny. We're fucking shit without Laporte.

Won two league titles on the trot.
Won all domestic trophies in one season.
Ederson just won the golden gloves.
Yeah fuckin wank defence we've had, which nobhead let pep spend all that money and win all these trophies.

so why we buying 2 centre backs and a left back then ?

I've just run my thumb over the kid Aké. One good thing I didn't realise is that he's from DeJongland - must have been tip tapping a ball and building up ball skills that make jugglers look oafish for decades. The one querulous thing is that he's only four fuckin' inches bigger 'n David Silva! I was hoping for a 6ft 14ins guy who would have to watch out in case he smashed his 'ead on the cross bar clearing bullet 'eaders from every Tom, Dick 'n ArryHaringay from under the woodwork. However, I expect that Pep, by the time we FOCs are allowed back in The Etihad, will have welded onto the lad the silky skills of Marco van Basten, Dennis Bergkamp and the steel of Nige! He has my blessing and, you won't hear it from the BBC, but the lad's a fuckin' bargain!

The point if our defense is to actually stop them before they get the crosses in, if we do(which we do quite well surprisingly) it doesn’t matter how tall our defenders are.
It’s also why the refs are so quick to give corners and free kicks against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.