Nathan Ake

We couldn't get a more perfect 4th choice CB. Always comes in to doa job. No moaning or complaints. Didn't get his move and has gotten on with it. Seems a top bloke.
Mate, he wanted to leave a couple of weeks back. Unless players like Aké are involved more, if we do allow him to leave, he'll only be replaced by someone who'll face similar issues to Aké.

We need to address this...

If Pep rotated more, you'd hardly be able to separate them. This is the issue, with the dead rubber against Leipsig a case in point.

Why the heck have a squad like ours & play a full strength team in a meaningless match where we were already through as group winners?

If our "second team" players can't get a run out in a game like that, then when can they? The non-rotation in that match cost us Walker in the CL for three games. Absolute madness & pointless imo.

There are enough matches where Aké can play with no appreciable drop off in our performance.

It's down to Pep to work out which is more important to our overall squad & ultimate success... Momentum or Rotation & rest? )(
I feel the same in some of our league cup games, virtually full strength against lower league opposition.

I'm not saying Ake isn't a good player, he certainly is, but the fact is, he is still 4th on the list but eminently capable of playing more games for sure.

I don't see any drop off when he plays from those you list. Good enough to be a vital part in the best defence in the premier... Yet some happy to see him replaced for a shiny new toy...
So you rate them all equally then?

Who is the shiny new toy?

I haven't read a thread on us signing a new centre back.

Ake or Laporte are not left backs, they are a huge drop-off in value to the team when shifted out there, as is Stones at right back for that matter.

A fair comment but is he 4th best in your opinion or not?
I don't think that is answerable I think all our defenders go through peaks and troughs and injuries. On top form I would have Dias and Stones which Is at odds with the left footer argument.

It's the managers job to solve playing time and Pep does have this weird thing where on one hand he complains about over playing but then doesn't sub or rotate certain players when the opportunity arrives.

In what way?

Put these names in the order you feel is correct

Ake
Dias
Laporte
Stones

He is a good player, but still only the 4th best CB at City.
Is he really? None of three others had a stellar last season IMO. Ake was our best defending asset for the last part it. He now involves himself in attack as well and is a sharp header. His midfield work is arguably weaker than the other guys but unlike Stones and Laporte he is showing strong signs of steadily improving as a footballer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.