NBA Legend Kobe Bryant and his daughter dead in Helicopter Crash

Such sad news. His daughter passing away though is what makes this even worse, at least kobe got to experience his dreams live his life and leave a legacy, whereas his daughter didn't even begin to live her life.

Absolutely dreadful

Apparently, among the people who died, was the coach of the Kobe's daughter's basketball team, but also the coach's wife AND daughter, who was a member of the basketball team. They left behind two other young kids. Grim doesn't quite do this justice. I'm lost for words.

Just heard that the queen uses exactly the same type of helicopter regularly, and an ex British attack helicopter
pilot confirmed them as very reliable. No detail is out yet, but apparently, there was a lot of mist about, which, he
said, should have given them warning, plus, in these conditions, two pilots should have been aboard.

Awful, sounds to me like some kind of pilot error and they flew into the terrain in fog as the Calabasas area is really hilly.

The weather in LA is really bizarre. We went last year and stayed in Burbank which was 30c+ shorts weather but the temperature at the beaches was half that.

Wouldn't surprise me if they took off in good weather in the south and then ended up in fog and rain 30 miles north. Not great if you are flying around hills.

Not really. Google autorotation. Not the thread for it.
Auto-rotation is difficult enough in ideal conditions. It relies on having enough height and fwd speed to generate the required lift to cushion your landing by flaring the rotor head at the very last seconds before you hit the deck. I can be done smoothly, but generally it results in a pretty hard landing. Having sat in the back of many helicopters during planned auto-rotation it is certainly an 'interesting' experience.

Awful, sounds to me like some kind of pilot error and they flew into the terrain in fog as the Calabasas area is really hilly.

The weather in LA is really bizarre. We went last year and stayed in Burbank which was 30c+ shorts weather but the temperature at the beaches was half that.

Wouldn't surprise me if they took off in good weather in the south and then ended up in fog and rain 30 miles north. Not great if you are flying around hills.

I was there late last year. The weather in San Fernando was 30 degrees and we drove an hour south to long beach and it was 15 degrees.

I was watching the PGA Tour golf event at Torrey Pines over the weekend - it is along the coast from the crash site - the sea mist was drifting over the course - at times it that that misty the players couldn't see where their ball was landing when they hit driver so visibility was well under 300 yards. The LAPD had grounded all the helipcopters yesterday morning due to poor visibility so it suggests that it was too dangerous for any helicopters to be flying.

RIP Kobe and all who died in the accident

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.