NC500 - Scotland road trip

Done it on a motorbike 3 years ago. Absolutely superb. As others have said don't worry if you stray from the route a little as the scenery is as good virtually anywhere up there. Fingers crossed for good whether, which makes it. Have a great time.

I did it before it was rebranded as the NC500. Done a lot of it on bicycle as well. Off up to Inverness in a couple of weeks to cycle the Caledonia Way. The thing with road trips such as this is you're doing it to experience your own trip and take things from it you will enjoy, not to do/see things that others think are worth seeing. You're going to see all these places as you pass through. My only recommendation: Get yourself some Avon Skin So Soft and rub it in - keeps the midges away. Enjoy.
Cheers pal, and your right about making it my own experience. That’s one of the things I’m looking to more than anything, the adventure of it and finding incredible places.

Make sure you take long enough to do the trip. Absolute bare minimum should be 5 days
Yeah we have 5 days, getting longer was a no due to kids. It’s gonna be a long drive up there, but planning on getting up about 4am and getting around Ullapool by mid afternoon. We have a hotel booked in Bettyhill 2 nights later and then one night after that and long drive home. Ideally would have had a few more days, but got to make the most of the time we have.

Wife is from the Highlands and we we're up there every time we're back in the UK.

Strathy Beach is a beautiful spot then head east through to Thurso and the Rockrose Gin Distillery then down to Wick and do Old Pultney Whiskey...Heading down towards Inverness you have Golspie and Dornoch (where I've had the best Black Pudding) and Glenmorangie distillery along with lots of castles and as has been said Nairn/Speyside for loads of whisky tasting.

Yeah we have 5 days, getting longer was a no due to kids. It’s gonna be a long drive up there, but planning on getting up about 4am and getting around Ullapool by mid afternoon. We have a hotel booked in Bettyhill 2 nights later and then one night after that and long drive home. Ideally would have had a few more days, but got to make the most of the time we have.
I’ve stayed in bettyhill before, at the Bettyhill Hotel.

Next weekend me and the wife are spending 5 days doing the very far north of Scotland. Drive up to Ullapool and then 4 nights along the coast to Inverness. Looks like there are so many places to see and visit so just wondering if any BMers have done it and can recommend any great beaches, castles, walks, seafood restaurants they visited.

Let us know how you get on please. I would like to do this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.