NDJ a poor Defensive Holding Midfielder & Disgraceful?

Re: The Myth about having a Defensive Holding midfielder

I think people pay too much attention to the position people are supposed to be playing. Remember at the start of the year people were calling Yaya, Barry and De Jong defensive midfielders, which was totally wrong.

Attacking or defensive mentality does not come down to whether one designated "holding midfielder" plays or not, it depends on the attitude taken by the entire team.

moomba said:
I think people pay too much attention to the position people are supposed to be playing. Remember at the start of the year people were calling Yaya, Barry and De Jong defensive midfielders, which was totally wrong.

Attacking or defensive mentality does not come down to whether one designated "holding midfielder" plays or not, it depends on the attitude taken by the entire team.

Mostly agree with this,however De Jong is a holding midfielder and that's pretty much it he offers very little offensively.Barry,YaYa and Milner all have more when it comes to their all round contribution.
When De Jong plays its one less player for the opposition to worry about defensively.

Its funny because we did really well as a team until he came back into the team more then as he has started playing more we have gradually stopped scoring and because of that we are now winning less.

I think you need a creative holding midfielder to be honest. Chelsea went and bought Essien for this role, United got Carrick, Barca have got Busquets, Madrid tend to use Alonso.

I think players like Makelele are one offs and a thing of the past. It's best to have as many creative midfielders as possible these days, even an essence of that in your defensive midfielder/anchorman. IMO anyway.

Now, this may not be a popular choice I don't know. But, I think someone like Alex Song from Arsenal would fit in nicely instead of NDJ. Good tackler, quick, can spot a pass and wouldnt cost a shit load either. Plus he's still reletively young and we all know how Arsenal are a feeder club of yours lol!

A partnership of Song & Barry or Song & Yaya would be very tidy.

lust overlord said:
moomba said:

Mostly agree with this,however De Jong is a holding midfielder and that's pretty much it he offers very little offensively.Barry,YaYa and Milner all have more when it comes to their all round contribution.
When De Jong plays its one less player for the opposition to worry about defensively.

But someone like De Jong playing "can" give more licence to the other midfielder to get forward knowing there is cover there if the ball is turned over.

FWIW, I think De Jong is capable of more than just defending, and on the weekend created two goalscoring opportunities. As much as anyone in the team.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Its funny because we did really well as a team until he came back into the team more then as he has started playing more we have gradually stopped scoring and because of that we are now winning less.

As somebody pointed out to me on sunday...

"Is it coincidence that it's gone pear shaped since NDJ got back in"?

We DID NOT need 2 holding midfielders against a team that lost it's last home game to Norwich.

mancini made the right call to withdraw one... but the wrong one!

sjk2008 said:
I think you need a creative holding midfielder to be honest. Chelsea went and bought Essien for this role, United got Carrick, Barca have got Busquets, Madrid tend to use Alonso.

I think players like Makelele are one offs and a thing of the past. It's best to have as many creative midfielders as possible these days, even an essence of that in your defensive midfielder/anchorman. IMO anyway.

Now, this may not be a popular choice I don't know. But, I think someone like Alex Song from Arsenal would fit in nicely instead of NDJ. Good tackler, quick, can spot a pass and wouldnt cost a shit load either. Plus he's still reletively young and we all know how Arsenal are a feeder club of yours lol!

Spot on.

Alex Song continues to develop into a very complete midfielder, box-to-box midfielder with the strength and stamina to perform a composed killer passes, nothing short of brilliance with his contribution going forward .... One of the most underrated midfielder s in PL.......... Song's what 24yo? holly shiiiiit

sjk2008 said:

I think Alex Song is an excellent player.

I think De Jong is the only defensive midfielder we have.

Barry Milner Yaya Pizarro are all "Central midfielders" whilst Silva and Nasri are attacking midfielders

levets said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:

As somebody pointed out to me on sunday...

"Is it coincidence that it's gone pear shaped since NDJ got back in"?

We DID NOT need 2 holding midfielders against a team that lost it's last home game to Norwich.

mancini made the right call to withdraw one... but the wrong one!

Thats what im saying. It is no mystery how the team has become worse since he started getting more playing time. Problem is as long as he does his stupid sliding tackles once or twice a game 90% of bluemoon will have wet dreams about him

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.