Neil Young

I Am A Child gets me everytime.

Did he tour between Live Rust and Trans in 82 @NeilYoungIsBack ? I assume he did - are there any official live shows released from 79-81 ?

Hi, he didn't perform live at all in 1979, and only once in 1980. The 1980 one was connected to the launch of Hawks & Doves, but on that occasion they also performed an unreleased song I've never heard played called Winter Winds.

In 1981 he appeared once on stage as a guest at a tribute concert for someone but I can't remember who.

The reason why he wasn't touring in 1979-1981 is connected to his youngest son, who was born severely disabled in the late 70s. NY and his wife dedicated themselves for several years to some kind of intensive around the clock therapy programme that meant there was not much time for anything else.

As part of this programme they used a vocoder to try and communicate with their infant son. This device ended up being used for the vocals on the Trans album and also on stage during the Trans tour by NY and Nils Lofgren.

Hi, he didn't perform live at all in 1979, and only once in 1980. The 1980 one was connected to the launch of Hawks & Doves, but on that occasion they also performed an unreleased song I've never heard played called Winter Winds.

In 1981 he appeared once on stage as a guest at a tribute concert for someone but I can't remember who.

The reason why he wasn't touring in 1979-1981 is connected to his youngest son, who was born severely disabled in the late 70s. NY and his wife dedicated themselves for several years to some kind of intensive around the clock therapy programme that meant there was not much time for anything else.

As part of this programme they used a vocoder to try and communicate with their infant son. This device ended up being used for the vocals on the Trans album and also on stage during the Trans tour by NY and Nils Lofgren.
Ah, ok, cheers for that reply. Yes, I knew about his son, but hadn’t fitted it into the timeline properly. And that use of vocoder in 82 now makes perfect sense. Thanks

Here's a list of the Full Concerts available so far on the NWA website. The release schedule is pretty erratic, but its averaging a new one released roughly every month.

YearDateVenueLine-up
196916/10/1969 (First set)Ann Arbor, MichiganSolo
197606/11/1976Boulder, ColoradoCrazy Horse
198406/06/1984 (Early show)San JoseInternational Harvesters
198818/05/1988TorontoBluenotes
198911/12/1989ParisNY + Ben Keith & Poncho
200103/07/2001StockholmCrazy Horse
200922/04/2009Kelowna, BCElectric Band
201029/05/2010Atlanta, GeorgiaSolo
201309/03/2013Hunter Valley, NSWCrazy Horse
201313/03/2013MelbourneCrazy Horse
201607/06/2016BelfastPromise of the Real
201909/07/2019AntwerpPromise of the Real

There hasn't been a new recorded concert performance on the Neil Young Archive web site for over a month, but the new one loaded this morning is great if you are in to rarities.

It is from Ann Arbour, Michigan, 16 October 1969 - first set. Only 11 songs, but four are debuts and at least 3 have only been played live a handful of times in his whole career.
The 2nd set is also now available, with a few songs added that weren't included in the first set. e.g. Birds, Cinnamon Girl

1​
On The Way Home
2​
Helpless
3​
Cinnamon Girl >>> The Loner
4​
Birds
5​
I Am A Child
6​
Everybody's Alone
7​
Dance, Dance, Dance
8​
The 1956 Bubblegum Disaster >>> It's My Time
9​
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
10​
The Old Laughing Lady
11​
I've Been Waiting For You
12​
Here We Are In The Years
13​
Wonderin'
14​
Down By The River
15​
Country Girl

On the Beach
Tonight's the Night
Time Fades Away

I love TFA but the others, which could easily be ranked the other way round, are even better.

On the Beach
Tonight's the Night
Time Fades Away

I love TFA but the others, which could easily be ranked the other way round, are even better.
Yeh I find it difficult to split the top 2 - probably comes dow to daily preference to be honest.

Although listening back to Time Fades Away rediscovered L.A. - top tune..........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.