Netflix documentary on Pelé

Could Pele play in defence, no, so is Bobby Moore a better player because he could? What about in goal?
Of course Pele was a better player than Bobby Moore, but when we think of the GOAT our choices always take us to forward players.
I find the whole GOAT thing very subjective (a point you make in your post) but I also find it very childish - something kids do in the playground.

Creating is much harder than destroying. I know its very difficult to be a professional footballer at a high level, but there are "easier" positions. It's easier being defensive minded than attacking, which is why at school when teams are being picked for PE football, the worst kids are picked to play in defence, but the more gifted kids are always attackers. The likes of Vinnie Jones, and Robbie Savage carved out good careers being destroyers (almost literally in Jones' case). Also football is an entertainment, and people enjoy seeing goals scored, rather than disciplined defensive games. Goal of the month? Yes, not so much best timed sliding tackle of the month. I don't find the greatest debate childish at all, its always a worthy and interesting debate to have.

Love watching the Netflix sports films. The All or Nothing series are good, City's is good but a bit too twee ( I can forgive them that) so I'll look out for the Pele film. I watched a few of the 66 games but World Cup football and Brazil started in 1970 by then I had started following City and was well into it. MY typhoo Tea poster collection was impressive and I had my first pair of 6 stud boots. Pele for me was the greatest player but Maradona and Messi run him very close. I'd also throw Cruyff into the mix somewhere. Skills and fitness of footballers these days are superior to those long ago but the game has changed so much. Who's the GOAT are questions that can never be answered and that's what's great about this sport

Watched it last night and enjoyed it. Scored some amazing goals and pulled off some outrageous pieces of skill.

Creating is much harder than destroying. I know its very difficult to be a professional footballer at a high level, but there are "easier" positions. It's easier being defensive minded than attacking, which is why at school when teams are being picked for PE football, the worst kids are picked to play in defence, but the more gifted kids are always attackers. The likes of Vinnie Jones, and Robbie Savage carved out good careers being destroyers (almost literally in Jones' case). Also football is an entertainment, and people enjoy seeing goals scored, rather than disciplined defensive games. Goal of the month? Yes, not so much best timed sliding tackle of the month. I don't find the greatest debate childish at all, its always a worthy and interesting debate to have.
Yep, think it was Jack Charlton who said, "I couldn't play, but I could stop those that could".

Saw Pele while with Cosmos back in the day. Anybody else see him play live?
I saw Pele play live when Santos played Sheffield Wednesday in the early 1970's at Hillsborough, although I'm pretty sure it was only an exhibition/friendly match. I've also seen Maradona and Messi play live. In my opinion Pele just shades Maradona and Messi.

Great viewing and a well balanced insight.
Wasn’t really that bothered about Netflix until it came free with our subscription, however these documentaries are class above any others.

For a non sports one try Spitfire. Found it very emotional to hear the stories of the pilots as well as the plane itself.

Finally got around to watching this. IMHO it's a must watch for any footy fan. I just about remember the 1958 WC but only the footage shown on Pathe News down at the flicks. Similarly we had very little TV coverage of the 1962 tournament. It brings back some great memories of 1966 & 1970 though. For anyone unfamiliar with the repressive regime in Brazil at that time it's an eye-opener. Fast forward to the 1978 WC and I recall a similar brutal dictatorship in Argentina.
We should be grateful that no matter how shit some of our governments have been we've never had to suffer like those countries.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.