Neville/Giggs's plans for Manchester city centre.

Fully agree.
Buildings in Manchester that deserve keeping have in general been kept with a few exceptions. There's still loads of fine examples of good Victorian and Edwardian architecture as well as more recent architecture. The buildings in question have very little architectural merit and would be no loss.

Manchester's one of the UK's fastest growing cities so most people don't agree with you.

Bye.
See yer....It has since about 1790 been one of 'Britains fastest growing Cities '...so keep it and shove it mate!

.....any social/affordable units going in these new towers?...i would wager not.

See yer....It has since about 1790 been one of 'Britains fastest growing Cities '...so keep it and shove it mate!
Good luck finding somewhere where they build social/affordable housing right in the centre of town.

I stand by my view that the area is a dump and needs to be put to better use. I'm all for saving nice old buildings but the police station and pub on this site are typical examples of finding a reason to save any old tat. These buildings are mediocre in the grand scheme of Manchester's historic architecture and the rest of the site has nothing going for it in any way. Save the arguments for genuinely decent old buildings. The plans are ugly but i'm all for the principle of big buildings in the city center.

To me I think that what they are planning will look completely out of sync with the area you are still gonna have the back of brewdog, army recruitment centre, sakhana and the albert hall opposite which all looks shite, plus all of Jackson row

the architecture of bootle street and the synagogue match them much better and it would be not too much of a stretch to refurb and reinvent the present police station into something more befitting the area. Have you ever been in the courtyard? easily big enough to create a mini plaza with boutiques, cafes and bars. pedstrionise the area from southmill st, jackson row and bootle st and create some live walking market/streetfood/bar allies like you see in places like brussels and bruges, canne and rome.

yes we need more accomodation building near the city, but when brownfill sites like pomona, cornbrook and it being a stones throw from the city centre their are better options for this design.

Look at the ridiculous glass building at top of jackson row and deansgate, it looks out of place with everything else around it

We need some Mancunian Architects.
Norman Foster is a stone -cold Manc jibber mate. Offer him a couple of huge glass phalli to design, and send a few wild horses down there and he'll surely return?
If not, your usual guy is a local (Heywood?) isn't he?

Yet another reason to leave.
Fk Manchester, if I wanted to live in London I'd move there.
Actually, where are all the Mancs going?...the only local accents I hear in town these days are begging.....any social/affordable units going in these new towers?...i would wager not.
Looking to sell up and move out this year, any ex-pats on here got any reservations about leaving?
I agree slightly with you in that I work in Mcr centre myself and Daily meet people due to my nature of work.
I can guarantee the people with money/education etc will have either a southern accent or are European/East Asian.

The beggars, big issue sellers, drug dealers and so on have the local accents.
Others with local accents tend to work in town and do the semi-skilled jobs such as working in shops/bars etc.

There will be exceptions to the rule but yea this is what I find often.
When City play in town like tonight obviously there's far more local accents around.
Whereas when United play at home I can guarantee most of their fans have either a southern or Irish accent, rarely come across a local rag.
And I'm on saying this for a laugh either, I'm being honest.

More social housing is desperately needed in the areas of Greater Manchester. Well the entire country really but there is a feeling that Manchester is certainly on the world map now and is a in destination for skilled/educated people with no previous connection here to come and work and play.

Part reason why I feel ADUG bought city in the first place, as they saw the expansion potential with increasing population and people with money.

To me I think that what they are planning will look completely out of sync with the area you are still gonna have the back of brewdog, army recruitment centre, sakhana and the albert hall opposite which all looks shite, plus all of Jackson row

the architecture of bootle street and the synagogue match them much better and it would be not too much of a stretch to refurb and reinvent the present police station into something more befitting the area. Have you ever been in the courtyard? easily big enough to create a mini plaza with boutiques, cafes and bars. pedstrionise the area from southmill st, jackson row and bootle st and create some live walking market/streetfood/bar allies like you see in places like brussels and bruges, canne and rome.

yes we need more accomodation building near the city, but when brownfill sites like pomona, cornbrook and it being a stones throw from the city centre their are better options for this design.

Look at the ridiculous glass building at top of jackson row and deansgate, it looks out of place with everything else around it

no one is going to create a mini plaza down a backstreet surrounded by the backs of ugly post war buildings. The only realistic option for significant investment is something on a big scale over the whole site.

I agree slightly with you in that I work in Mcr centre myself and Daily meet people due to my nature of work.
I can guarantee the people with money/education etc will have either a southern accent or are European/East Asian.

Others with local accents tend to work in town and do the semi-skilled jobs such as working in shops/bars etc.

When City play in town like tonight obviously there's far more local accents around.
Whereas when United play at home I can guarantee most of their fans have either a southern or Irish accent, rarely come across a local rag.

More social housing is desperately needed in the areas of Greater Manchester. Well the entire country really but there is a feeling that Manchester is certainly on the world map now and is a in destination for skilled/educated people with no previous connection here to come and work and play.

Part reason why I feel ADUG bought city in the first place, as they saw the expansion potential with increasing population and people with money.

Let's face it the architecture of Manchester is never going to match York, London, Chester - we are akin to a Birmingham or Leeds and I think Manchester is a much nicer place than them.

These buildings remind me of the Barbican buildings when first erected in London. Same colour and out of kilter. Now you don't notice them under the expansion of London.

I think the towers could be better designed but I am happy with this investment and in 20 years time if Manchester continues the same trajectory they will blend into the skyline.

As to the accents it shows Manchester is becoming successful , it is attracting talent from around the uk and the world. This was the reserve of London and it can only be good thing if we can attract more talent into the city. The city cannot sit still it has to compete and attract the best talent. These people like to live in the city centre , hence the demand for these buildings.

Foreign investors in the Middle East and china see London as too expensive so are investing in the city now.

It's just a Shame the council are ruining the city with its transport policy, no point having all this expansion and people living in the city if nobody can get around.

I work in the world of professionals and high finance in the city (I’m based in a big glass building in spinning fields). You do inevitably get a range of people coming in to professional jobs because they all generally bring some technical skills or qualifications with them. You can’t run a law firm by hiring kids out of the local high school – you need law graduates and experienced lawyers who generally have a more rounded accent. That said all the firms I have worked for and deal with are overwhelmingly staffed by people from Manchester or at least the North West. In my office I would say 6 out of 10 are from within 10 miles of the city center and the other 4 would come from a mix of the wider UK and Europe, I don’t see a problem.

Let's face it the architecture of Manchester is never going to match York, London, Chester - we are akin to a Birmingham or Leeds and I think Manchester is a much nicer place than them.

These buildings remind me of the Barbican buildings when first erected in London. Same colour and out of kilter. Now you don't notice them under the expansion of London.

I think the towers could be better designed but I am happy with this investment and in 20 years time if Manchester continues the same trajectory they will blend into the skyline.

As to the accents it shows Manchester is becoming successful , it is attracting talent from around the uk and the world. This was the reserve of London and it can only be good thing if we can attract more talent into the city. The city cannot sit still it has to compete and attract the best talent. These people like to live in the city centre , hence the demand for these buildings.

Foreign investors in the Middle East and china see London as too expensive so are investing in the city now.

It's just a Shame the council are ruining the city with its transport policy, no point having all this expansion and people living in the city if nobody can get around.

How dare you have such an open mind? Join my campaign for the erection of a huge MCFC clock tower (as featured on the main forum). Together we will rebuild this fine city!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.