Neville/Giggs's plans for Manchester city centre.

I've just seen the architectural drawings for the new buildings in Manchester. I hope Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs manage to find a Specsavers shop before they finalise these plans.

P.S. Knocking old buildings down is almost always a mistake as they are never replaced with anything that looks better.

_94671495_ac91ab1b-c8dc-4814-be83-cec94d046c87.jpg

Thoughts? It's fucking ugly, is it supposed to be a tribute to various ex teammates or something?

Made in the image and likeness of the pair of them - absolutely plug cuffin ugly. Just like the pair of them they are hideous. Cheap and nasty architecture that has not merit whatsoever. What was it the Brian said - a carbuncle on a much loved . . . . . . .!

The scheme includes a 200-bed five-star hotel, 153 apartments, 135,000 sq ft of Grade A offices and a synagogue.

is someone on the planning permission board jewish ,haha ,I would say this has already been approved hence the synagogue
According to google maps the synagogue already exists, so they would be very unlikely to get planning permission if they were telling them they were being kicked out.

I'd love some new skyscrapers in Manchester, but they all look a little two bob. Beetham Tower is hideous and the windows keep falling out.
There's a couple planned that are bigger than Beettham Tower so watch out for more falling debris

According to google maps the synagogue already exists, so they would be very unlikely to get planning permission if they were telling them they were being kicked out.
The Synagogue is already there as you say but will be replaced by a much smaller one I imagine. The whole project is a monstrosity and Manchester City council should hang their heads in shame as part of it.

I've just seen the architectural drawings for the new buildings in Manchester. I hope Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs manage to find a Specsavers shop before they finalise these plans.

P.S. Knocking old buildings down is almost always a mistake as they are never replaced with anything that looks better.
Why do you think they'll have any say in finalising the plans ?

The Synagogue is already there as you say but will be replaced by a much smaller one I imagine. The whole project is a monstrosity and Manchester City council should hang their heads in shame as part of it.
It does look pretty horrible, and will overshadow some nice buildings in that area (not just the town hall and library). I'm sure that something more aesthetic could be put there, but the area currently isn't great either, so something needs to be done.

I know tall buildings hugely split opinion, but I think Manchester has a great mix of new, 60's/70's (not much good there to be honest), and old, and the rather chaotic nature of it all has its own charm. Modern cities built new and tall can look great, but they often lack any real character, and whilst its a shame to lose some of the old pubs, some aren't worth the bother, I've walked past that one fairly regularly recently, and it wouldn't entice me in as it is.

Manchester is a great modern city that still has its character, a character than can be modernised tastefully if the people in charge do it right, but modern tall buildings certainly have a place within it, and are really the only way the city centre can continue to grow.

These don't do that, so as residents of the city (I'm not), people should object to them in the right manner, no matter who the names fronting the development are.

You've imagined wrong. It has about the same capacity as the old one according to the plans.

The only part of that block that actually adds to the character of the area at the moment is the frontage of the police station on Southmill Street. It would be much better if they could incorporate that as part of the new development. My understanding is that the Abercromby will be replaced by a new pub on the same site on Bootle Street adjoining the smaller of the two towers. As it has no original features, its history is more related to the location than the actual building anyway.
As they own the freehold of the land the current synagogue is located on, it would be practically impossible to kick them out anyway. The council would never support a CPO to boot out a congregation from their place of worship whatever religion they were.

As they own the freehold of the land the current synagogue is located on, it would be practically impossible to kick them out anyway. The council would never support a CPO to boot out a congregation from their place of worship whatever religion they were.
Rightly so, and that's coming from someone with absolutely no interest in any religion.

Regardless of who they are it's just nice to see some people invest money into a town centre that needs a massively modern redesign!

I walk around town and majority of it is like going back 20-30 years ago, the majority of Europe is like that tbf, but seeing as I live in Manchester and see the town cente practically on a weekly basis I can honestly say most of it is an eye sore, every pub/club looks seedy and all the bars look like they've been through torid times.
Pic gardens is fucking dreadful, so bad it's just become a drug dealing hotspot. Oxford road stinks of piss, and Northern Quarter looks like someone has just said "I wonder how many bars we can cram into one small area"....

With that said out of the "200-bed five-star hotel, 153 apartments, 135,000 sq ft of Grade A offices and a synagogue" quoyed by the BBC only the apartments and offices would probably benefit people of Manchester, apartments for people to love and offices to great jobs, the hotel and synagogue seems like a waste tbh.
I feel town does need to be modernised though, Arndale is the most modern looking thing we have and even that would probably still look like shit if it weren't for the IRA!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.