New Book "Who said City couldn't play!"

Well done Neally! It is important to record our history before it becomes clouded.

Apart from Bert, Frank Swift and Merideth, little is recorded about our greatest players. My dad and others thought Peter Docherty of that 1930's side was at least the equal of Colin Bell. It would be nice to see a "Hall of Fame" book recording our top players and exploits in context with a chapter on each with ilustrations rather than as a full biography.

"Who said City Couldnt Play" was sung throughout the 1950's. Another common song was "Oh What a Referee". Terrace chants really started in the 1960's.

spiny said:
Well done Neally! It is important to record our history before it becomes clouded.

Apart from Bert, Frank Swift and Merideth, little is recorded about our greatest players. My dad and others thought Peter Docherty of that 1930's side was at least the equal of Colin Bell. It would be nice to see a "Hall of Fame" book recording our top players and exploits in context with a chapter on each with ilustrations rather than as a full biography.

"Who said City Couldnt Play" was sung throughout the 1950's. Another common song was "Oh What a Referee". Terrace chants really started in the 1960's.
I agree - that's why I wrote a Hall Of Fame book a few years back that included chapters on Peter Doherty and the other Hall Of Fame players. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Manchester-City-Football-Club/dp/0600612821/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388571522&sr=8-1&keywords=manchester+city+hall+of+fame" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Manche ... ll+of+fame</a>

Hope this helps. Thanks.

I've read much of Who Said City Couldn't Play now and do think this is a great addition to our City collection. If only every season could be given this treatment.

Gary James said:
spiny said:

I agree - that's why I wrote a Hall Of Fame book a few years back that included chapters on Peter Doherty and the other Hall Of Fame players. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Manchester-City-Football-Club/dp/0600612821/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388571522&sr=8-1&keywords=manchester+city+hall+of+fame" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Manche ... ll+of+fame</a>

Hope this helps. Thanks.

I've read much of Who Said City Couldn't Play now and do think this is a great addition to our City collection. If only every season could be given this treatment.

Thanks Spiny and Gary. Gary's 'Hall of Fame' is a great book and one of the ones I used for reference when starting my initial research.

I've just ordered this book, along with another three City books. 90+5, Teenage Kicks and I was interested to see a sequel to "Lows Highs and Balti Pies", too.

City's success and the ease of self-publishing means that the availability of City books must have gone up at least tenfold in the last couple of years. You were lucky to get one a season before that.

Didsbury Dave said:
I've just ordered this book, along with another three City books. 90+5, Teenage Kicks and I was interested to see a sequel to "Lows Highs and Balti Pies", too.

City's success and the ease of self-publishing means that the availability of City books must have gone up at least tenfold in the last couple of years. You were lucky to get one a season before that.

Thanks Didsbury Dave! I've just posted your copy of WSCCP first class.

Nealy said:
Didsbury Dave said:

Thanks Didsbury Dave! I've just posted your copy of WSCCP first class.

Looking forward to it mate. I will let you know what I think, and this is the first of the four I will read.

We should try and have a list in here of the definitive City books regarding each major event and/or personality.

Deffo want to order this one. Phil, I sent you an e-mail. Let me know what works best for you!

Like I said in the e-mail, I'd have wanted a copy anyway. But the good words of Gary James in this thread about your book gave an assist to my decision-making process to be certain.

just got to november and I must say if the blue moon forum was going back then they would be getting slated by some of the keyboard managers that there are on here

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.