New CL Format | Thoughts after 2 games (pg13)

If 17 pts are required to make the top 8, then we have to win 4 and draw 1 from the remaining 6 games. Given that we play away from home all of PSG, Juve and Sporting, the task may not be trivial. Reckon 1-2 from the favourites might fail to qualify directly.

It's' the beginning of a mid week European super league.
I've no problem with that providing the teams are selected on merit, and there is promotion and relegation between the ESL and national leagues. Many of my objections to an ESL disappeared when the PL demonstrated they weren't capable of running a football competition. - And a merit-based ESL would embarrass the rags as they wouldn't be in it.

I've no problem with that providing the teams are selected on merit, and there is promotion and relegation between the ESL and national leagues. Many of my objections to an ESL disappeared when the PL demonstrated they weren't capable of running a football competition. - And a merit-based ESL would embarrass the rags as they wouldn't be in it.
Agreed but it will happen.

Fair play, you have to get through a lot of stages before you get to club coefficient which means a team would go through based purely based on this year's performance.
God help the commentators on the last day trying to keep up and explain all that though.
Perhaps the club should have an "as it stands" table on one of the screens during the Brugges game, if we're not through beforehand.

I think overall it's a better idea than the previous group stage as when was the last time a team that you thought could be a threat was eliminated in the group stage? i think there needs to be 5 teams from the top 4 nations replacing the absolute dross we faced on Tuesday. Also I think if you don't get top 8 the draw between teams 9th to 24th needs to be unseeded which would add extra jeopardy to not finishing top 8. There will be some good teams that don't finish top 8 but don't think it will matter much in this format.
I doubt the historic so-called big clubs would agree as 9th to 16th is pushed as being sort of equivalent to finishing second.

I can UEFA expanding this format to merge the UEFA Europa League teams in and present a single European tournament one day. It could adapt easily to accommodate more clubs. My only disappointment is the lack of fresh club in the CL in recent years, up to the new format. Clubs that win their league should be allowed a cracking at the group stages. That beings said TNS of England/Wales are in Italy tonight...
Right lads, how do we get 55 national champions (and possibly the previous winner) into a group stage format? And we'd need several "history clubs" to keep the broadcasters (and the clubs) happy.
16 groups of 4 perhaps.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.