New CL Format | Thoughts after 2 games (pg13)

Don’t really give it a second thought tbh. We play games, we go through or we go out at the end.
Just a couple of extra excuses to get on it midweek so all good. :-)

I think overall it's a better idea than the previous group stage as when was the last time a team that you thought could be a threat was eliminated in the group stage? i think there needs to be 5 teams from the top 4 nations replacing the absolute dross we faced on Tuesday. Also I think if you don't get top 8 the draw between teams 9th to 24th needs to be unseeded which would add extra jeopardy to not finishing top 8. There will be some good teams that don't finish top 8 but don't think it will matter much in this format.

prefer straigh knock out comps from the start over 2 legs, if a big club goes out early no problem.

it's been shite since groups were introduced, the league system will not make it no more memorable, though maybe more even

Last edited:
prefer straigh knock out comps from the srart over 2 legs, if a big club goes out early no problem.

it's been shite since groups were introduced, the league system will not make it no more memorable, though maybe more even
This is the way. But it's about money, as we all know.

Again, we have way more interesting matches now than before, and yesterday is the best day in group stages in a looong time. The last matchday will be crazy and almost every team will be playing for something (unlike the old format where teams like us or Bayern played with the B team for the last two matches).

8 spots are very few. Villa has a favorable draw and 6 points already. Us,Inter and Arsenal are the best teams in Europe and we all will qualify. Liverpool is up there, and they have 6 points. That means there is only 3 spots for: Milan, Juve, Benfica, Leipzig, Bayern, Bayer Leverkusen, Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico, Borussia, PSG, Benfica... big teams will have to play 2 extra matches which is huge. For example, next matchday Barcelona plays against Bayern. Whoever loses that match is pretty much out of the first 8 spots. Madrid next 3 matchdays are Dortmund, Liverpool and Milan and they HAVE to win at least 2 of those if not, they are out of the first 8.

And no, teams will not rotate. If you are 1st in the league phase, your Round of 16 will be against teams that were 14-17 in the league phase. Your QF will be against teams that were 7-10 in the league phase. That is a HUGE advantage to get to SF.

Last edited:
Just like everything else related to this competition it's a money grabbing waste of fucking space.

Yes I enjoy City games but we don't need extra gaes to line the pockets of the greedy bastards at the top.

I fucking hate the CL, UEFA, FIFA and everything that it all stands for.

Never want us to lose but wouldn't give a fuck if we played out juniors in this shit tournament.

Oh yeah and the knockout section will be seeded so as ever the best teams will be positioned to get to the final.... really is a fucking joke of a competition. They might as well have a four team unseeded tournament.
We have a competition that is straight knockout with no seeding. It’s the FA Cup.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.