New CL Format Thoughts | After GW2 (pg13) | GW3 (pg33)

Reality is, when you’re as good as City are at the minute, any group format you can think of is going to be a boring, no jeopardy, stroll to the knock out stages.

If this was the Mancini days, when getting out of the group was considered a major achievement, we would have been in a better position to judge if it’s an improvement or not.

But hard to say when both formats are almost certainly going to produce the same predictable outcome.
Some of our early groups were pretty tough. One year Real Madrid, Dortmund, City and Ajax were all in the same group. All of which were Champions of their respective league.

I think even Mancini's City team would have made top 24 in this new format.

If one of the 'big guns' don't make it through they will fine tune it with a WILD CARD directive based on 'istory or some made up coefficient shit.
Just wait until they do the 'draw' for 9th to 24th....I'm looking forwards to seeing a Juve v A Mardid. We'll never see that kind of game in the preliminary knockout round tho.

With us being top of UEFA's coefficients we're not getting any benefit from the success we've had under the previous format. However Villa who are way down the rankings have benefited a lot. They probably have a set of easier fixtures than we do.

When we first won the League we didn't get in Pot 1 for the following season's CL, that was changed to Pot 1 teams being the CL winners and the league winners from the highest ranked European Leagues.

Now we've got the highest ranking it's been changed again. I think teams shouldn't play others from the same pot, there has to be some reward for winning a domestic league.

I've posted similar before Villa first time in champs league and it's all changed they got a very good draw now look like finishing top 8 they been very lucky it has changed!

You never know though they might of done well in the old format the way they are playing under Emery

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.