New CL proposals: “Swiss system” favoured by clubs

I do think they need to address the current structure as the group stages are incredibly dull, but not sure this is the answer. Ideally, they'd just go back to basics and make it a straight, two-legged knockout competition (for the actual winners of each domestic league) but obviously there is no chance of that happening.

I do think they need to address the current structure as the group stages are incredibly dull, but not sure this is the answer. Ideally, they'd just go back to basics and make it a straight, two-legged knockout competition (for the actual winners of each domestic league) but obviously there is no chance of that happening.

The straight knockout format would be awful in modern day football. It would be several rounds of the kind of game we see now vs 1st seed and 4th seed, followed by maybe 4 rounds of decent games that aren't much different to the modern last 16 onwards.

The wealth gap is insurmountable for small random teams now, it's not like the old days where playing in a minefield in Eastern Europe in -15 degrees in December after the visitors took 6 flights and a bus to get there meant some tiny yugoslav side could take on Juventus.

The straight knockout format would be awful in modern day football. It would be several rounds of the kind of game we see now vs 1st seed and 4th seed, followed by maybe 4 rounds of decent games that aren't much different to the modern last 16 onwards.

The wealth gap is insurmountable for small random teams now, it's not like the old days where playing in a minefield in Eastern Europe in -15 degrees in December after the visitors took 6 flights and a bus to get there meant some tiny yugoslav side could take on Juventus.
Yeah, maybe you're right although I think they'd stand a marginally better chance in a knock out tie than in the current group stage. All moot anyway I guess.

First phase, Elite leagues, Spain, Italy, Germany, France, England. Top 3 from each league drawn to play 3 other teams over 2 legs. Teams are drawn randomly and same country teams not permitted.

Second phase, TOP 8 teams play knockout phase, quarters, semi, final.

There you go, already better than the Swiss proposal....and it took me less than 2 minutes to divise.

Then you have another EU cup comp for all those other leagues no one watches.

Haven't watched a cl game in years. Its all about cash and looking after the big boys.

Quarter/ semi finalists auto qualify? Utter madness.

What happens if the league is Liverpool, Chelsea, Leicester, Spurs with us 5th and United 6th.
Do Spurs and Leicester lose out because us and United finished in the quarters?

The league as a competition turns into a farce.

Here's a novel idea, have all the champions of each country play in a straight knock out competion and call it the European Cup.
Because you’d still barely play more than 7 teams. Unless it’s not home and away and you lump 64 teams into the comp and just have one leg.

Winning a knock-out competition and claiming you’re the best team has no credence.

To get into the competition you have to qualify through a league format because league formats make the cream rise to the top. It has to be a league format to really show who’s the best team.

Plus with a full knock-out comp you don’t get rid of the problem of still being able to draw every game 0-0 and be crowned champions of Europe. Negativity is rewarded.

If you drew every game 0-0 in a league format you’d finish down the bottom.

Because you’d still barely play more than 7 teams. Unless it’s not home and away and you lump 64 teams into the comp and just have one leg.

Winning a knock-out competition and claiming you’re the best team has no credence.

To get into the competition you have to qualify through a league format because league formats make the cream rise to the top. It has to be a league format to really show who’s the best team.

Plus with a full knock-out comp you don’t get rid of the problem of still being able to draw every game 0-0 and be crowned champions of Europe. Negativity is rewarded.

If you drew every game 0-0 in a league format you’d finish down the bottom.
Your points are very valid and I was being sarcastic with my suggestion. But I am old enough to remember the original format and frankly you would be hard pushed to argue that the cream did not rise to the top - Real Madrid, Benfica, Ajax, AC Milan to name just four were all worthy winners.

I refuse to name our nearest and dearest and the “Bus Wreckers”, because frankly I can’t stand either of them.

Here's a novel idea, have all the champions of each country play in a straight knock out competion and call it the European Cup.

All well and good when you had a good few countries champions had a chance of winning the thing. Now you may as well just have a last four with the champions of England Spain Italy and Germany, long gone are the days when there is any real prospect of a Steau Bucharest, Red Star Belgrade, or even a Porto Marseille or Ajax winning it. Not a cat in hells chance of a Celtic winning it with 11 home grown players....

Just like they have turned the Premier League into something not much less predictable than the Scottish League they have done the same to the Champions League.

In many respects greed has killed football form the Championship upwards, league tables and even knock out competitions above this level are more or less decided by who has the most dosh more than by what happens on the pitch.

Its not the format of these competitions that is the problem it is the structure of the game at the top level.

All well and good when you had a good few countries champions had a chance of winning the thing. Now you may as well just have a last four with the champions of England Spain Italy and Germany, long gone are the days when there is any real prospect of a Steau Bucharest, Red Star Belgrade, or even a Porto Marseille or Ajax winning it. Not a cat in hells chance of a Celtic winning it with 11 home grown players....

Just like they have turned the Premier League into something not much less predictable than the Scottish League they have done the same to the Champions League.

In many respects greed has killed football form the Championship upwards, league tables and even knock out competitions above this level are more or less decided by who has the most dosh more than by what happens on the pitch.

Its not the format of these competitions that is the problem it is the structure of the game at the top level.
You are 100% correct, I was just being facetious. We are all aware that UEFA does not organise their competitions for the good of football but to increase their coffers and those of their favoured few Clubs. What really pisses me off is the Media being complicit in it all, I just wish more of them would have the balls to call UEFA out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.