New CL proposals: “Swiss system” favoured by clubs

The “Swiss system” is often used in chess and other sports, and would mean 32 or 36 clubs in a single division. They would not all play each other, but a random draw would select ten matches — five at home and five away — for each club against opponents of varying strength based on seeding. The existing system has 32 clubs split into eight groups of four who play each other home and away.

Yeah, right.
We’ve done okay in draws for the last few years so hopefully that would continue. Apart from the 4 extra games,which might mean scrapping the league cup for c/l teams, sounds a better system than we have now so as long as qualifying stays as it is, I’m for it.

I don't mind this until we get to this part:

● The final semi-finalists (or quarter-finalists) would qualify automatically for the following year’s Champions League.

"Or" . . . yeah, right. I don't think it's right that four auto-qualify, let alone eight. And you know they'll lean toward eight. And you know why.

Finish in the top half of a league with some sides weaker than some domestic leagues, then beat just one other side over two legs to qualify for CL the next year?

Fuck. Off.

I don't mind this until we get to this part:

● The final semi-finalists (or quarter-finalists) would qualify automatically for the following year’s Champions League.

"Or" . . . yeah, right. I don't think it's right that four auto-qualify, let alone eight. And you know they'll lean toward eight. And you know why.
Yes, don’t like that part, think qualifying is going to be ‘weighted’ whatever the format of the competition takes though.
Although if it’s limited to the semis, it woould be teams like Lyon and Monaco that would see the benefit, as most other semi finalists I can think of would qualify through their leagues.

If you see this in the wider context of all the other noise about a super-league, the parting shot of the Barca president, and the attempted rag/dipper power grab this summer it's clear the usual old guard are up to another way to maintain the closed shop now FFP will have to be relaxed (scrapped) due to covid.

If you see this in the wider context of all the other noise about a super-league, the parting shot of the Barca president, and the attempted rag/dipper power grab this summer it's clear the usual old guard are up to another way to maintain the closed shop now FFP will have to be relaxed (scrapped) due to covid.
The whole idea seems bloody silly to me. It is all about money at the end of the day, but they think we are all idiots and they can get anything past us.

The whole idea seems bloody silly to me. It is all about money at the end of the day, but they think we are all idiots and they can get anything past us.
Trouble is mate, we may not all be idiots, but there are plenty of them who will pay and keep football, and all associated with it, in a lifestyle they're accustomed to, and I think as long as that happens, it will always be considered "job done".

Not sure if there is a thread for this feel free to move if so.....
what are peoples thoughts on the new proposals ? If var isn't already killing the game this would be another nail in the coffin..
The new Champions League proposals would scrap the existing format of eight groups, each consisting of four teams, with the top two in each group advancing into the last 16.
Instead, there would be 32 teams in one division and each side would play 10 matches against 10 different opponents, with the top eight qualifying for the round of 16.

Teams finishing between ninth and 24th would then face a two-legged play-off to join them in the knockout phase.
In order to fit the competition into English football's schedule, the Carabao Cup semi-finals, currently played over two legs, would resort to a one-off match, with FA Cup replays also scrapped.
I’ve said for a long time that the current CL format is fucking awful!

You can draw every single game 0-0, winning the knock-out games on penalties, and be crowned the champions of Europe.

If you drew every game 0-0 in a domestic league, you’d likely be relegated.

Finishing second in a group of just four teams merits qualification to the knock-out phases? Do me a favour!

Also, how can you call yourselves the best team in Europe when you can only play a maximum of 7 teams in the competition? It’s like the FA Cup winners claiming to be the best team in England.

It’s a shit format and a shit competition. The group stage is utterly boring, the knock-out phase is marginally better. The whole thing is weighted, with seedlings and small groups, so that the same teams get through to the knock-out stages.

It needs fucking binning off this format and has done for a long time.

A league format is the only way to go. Maybe with a semi-final play-off series for the top4 at the end of the season. Play more teams, not a small selection of 3-7 teams (depending on how far you get). The more teams you play against, the more credence you have as the winners to say you’re the best team in Europe.

Doesn’t have to be one league, could be two concurrent groups with the top two making the end of season semifinals; or four groups with the top team making the semis. Just as long as you’re playing more than a maximum of 7 teams through the competition, and stop rewarding mediocrity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve said for a long time that the current CL format is fucking awful!

You can draw every single game 0-0, winning the knock-out games on penalties, and be crowned the champions of Europe.

If you drew every game 0-0 in a domestic league, you’d likely be relegated.

Finishing second in a group of just four teams merits qualification to the knock-out phases? Do me a favour!

Also, how can you call yourselves the best team in Europe when you can only play a maximum of 7 teams in the competition? It’s like the FA Cup winners claiming to be the best team in England.

It’s a shit format and a shit competition. The group stage is utterly boring, the knock-out phase is marginally better. The whole thing is weighted, with seedlings and small groups, so that the same teams get through to the knock-out stages.

It needs fucking binning off this format and has done for a long time.

A league format is the only way to go. Maybe with a semi-final play-off series for the top4 at the end of the season. Play more teams, not a small selection of 3-7 teams (depending on how far you get). The more teams you play against, the more credence you have as the winners to say you’re the best team in Europe.

Doesn’t have to be one league, could be two concurrent groups with the top two making the end of season semifinals; or four groups with the top team making the semis. Just as long as you’re playing more than a maximum of 7 teams through the competition, and stop rewarding mediocrity.
Here's a novel idea, have all the champions of each country play in a straight knock out competion and call it the European Cup.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.