New European Super League Breakaway Threat

As I always say when this idea gets trotted about.

It won’t get off the ground as someone has to finish 12th, 15th.....bottom!

the thing is they don't it will be a closed shop with not relegation ?

the idea i have heard was a new league of 18 teams and a knockout system for the group stages . so based on the table you will be seeded in the group knockouts. its 2 new competitions with a league and cup

so weekends league games and midweek cup games. you could be playing each team 4 teams a season with a midweek competition and a final ?

also heard a ranking system and points based on past glories so the top elite teams can never miss out or be relegated
and also maybe a super league 2 for other smaller european clubs that will mix with super league teams in the midweek cup competition

the elite want about 45 games to be played over both competitions and a winter break ?
this has been on the table of about 4 years and it will happen after the next tv rights deal they all sign for 3 years
they know the next round of tv deals will be the lowest amount tv companies will offer because of covid-19. they maybe even vote to break away before the new tv rights are put on the table

Last edited:
the only way this happens is as a replacement of the champions league imo.dont think any fans want their domestic leagues fucked people would just get bored of the same teams every year.part of the beauty of the prem is little teams like huddersfield bournmouth etc having a shot.

the only way this happens is as a replacement of the champions league imo.dont think any fans want their domestic leagues fucked people would just get bored of the same teams every year.part of the beauty of the prem is little teams like huddersfield bournmouth etc having a shot.
I think you're right but the days of a manager like cloughie taking derby or forest up or Mercer/ Allison taking city up and winning the title a year or two later have gone

I think you're right but the days of a manager like cloughie taking derby or forest up or Mercer/ Allison taking city up and winning the title a year or two later have gone
your right about winning it but they come in and make it more intresting for a year or two before they go down.you also get teams like wolves who come in and consolidate and then with investment start competing for europe its that side of it i dont want.if a side does great but cant go in europe because rags and dippers are in even though they finished 9th and 10th.fuck them

Wilkinson did it more recently with Leeds as well remember. Promoted in 1990, champions in 1992. In fact, back around the early 90’s was as level a playing field as I can remember in my footballing supporting lifetime which goes back to the late 70’s. Even City weren’t a million miles off the top that year Leeds won it - we finished 12 points behind Leeds and would’ve been a lot closer if it wasn’t for a disastrous run of defeats in February and March. We also battered Leeds 4-0 in early April which seemingly extinguished their title hopes and then the Rags promptly imploded to the extent that Leeds won it with a game to spare in the end. To this day, I actually think City could’ve nicked the title that year if Kendall hadn’t buggered off back to Everton the season before, and that was with Swales as chairman!

the thing is they don't it will be a closed shop with not relegation ?

the idea i have heard was a new league of 18 teams and a knockout system for the group stages . so based on the table you will be seeded in the group knockouts. its 2 new competitions with a league and cup

so weekends league games and midweek cup games. you could be playing each team 4 teams a season with a midweek competition and a final ?

also heard a ranking system and points based on past glories so the top elite teams can never miss out or be relegated
and also maybe a super league 2 for other smaller european clubs that will mix with super league teams in the midweek cup competition

the elite want about 45 games to be played over both competitions and a winter break ?
this has been on the table of about 4 years and it will happen after the next tv rights deal they all sign for 3 years
they know the next round of tv deals will be the lowest amount tv companies will offer because of covid-19. they maybe even vote to break away before the new tv rights are put on the table

But if you have 18 teams who are all used to winning 20 games a season and finishing in the top 2 or in the PL case top 4, how will they cope when they only win 4 games and are 17th out of 18th?

The reason why all these 18 teams are well supported is because they win more than they lose.

You’ve seen how fans of Utd and Arsenal react about finishing 6th, they are “banter clubs” or “finished”. Imagine bringing Bayern, Barca and Madrid into that mix.

How can United gain noodle sponsors when they are the 16th best team in the competition?

All that will happen is the also rans of the elite won’t be able to compete with the elite elite and then they will power grab to form a new elite elite elite league until all that’s left is a four way league of United, Liverpool, Barca and Madrid.

Wilkinson did it more recently with Leeds as well remember. Promoted in 1990, champions in 1992. In fact, back around the early 90’s was as level a playing field as I can remember in my footballing supporting lifetime which goes back to the late 70’s. Even City weren’t a million miles off the top that year Leeds won it - we finished 12 points behind Leeds and would’ve been a lot closer if it wasn’t for a disastrous run of defeats in February and March. We also battered Leeds 4-0 in early April which seemingly extinguished their title hopes and then the Rags promptly imploded to the extent that Leeds won it with a game to spare in the end. To this day, I actually think City could’ve nicked the title that year if Kendall hadn’t buggered off back to Everton the season before, and that was with Swales as chairman!
Hang on a minute. Everyone knows we have no history and had no chance of winning anything until corrupt oil money was pumped into us in 2008...:)

Yes indeed, Blackburn too, but I suppose that was a 'money club' even if the amount involved is laughable now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.