New European Super League Breakaway Threat

Wilkinson did it more recently with Leeds as well remember. Promoted in 1990, champions in 1992. In fact, back around the early 90’s was as level a playing field as I can remember in my footballing supporting lifetime which goes back to the late 70’s. Even City weren’t a million miles off the top that year Leeds won it - we finished 12 points behind Leeds and would’ve been a lot closer if it wasn’t for a disastrous run of defeats in February and March. We also battered Leeds 4-0 in early April which seemingly extinguished their title hopes and then the Rags promptly imploded to the extent that Leeds won it with a game to spare in the end. To this day, I actually think City could’ve nicked the title that year if Kendall hadn’t buggered off back to Everton the season before, and that was with Swales as chairman!

And Leicester won it two years after promotion, although they did change manager part way through.

But if you have 18 teams who are all used to winning 20 games a season and finishing in the top 2 or in the PL case top 4, how will they cope when they only win 4 games and are 17th out of 18th?

The reason why all these 18 teams are well supported is because they win more than they lose.

You’ve seen how fans of Utd and Arsenal react about finishing 6th, they are “banter clubs” or “finished”. Imagine bringing Bayern, Barca and Madrid into that mix.

How can United gain noodle sponsors when they are the 16th best team in the competition?

All that will happen is the also rans of the elite won’t be able to compete with the elite elite and then they will power grab to form a new elite elite elite league until all that’s left is a four way league of United, Liverpool, Barca and Madrid.

the new league setup they want is based like the rugby league with a play off system and a super final. so most of the teams will be involved right up the last weeks plus they will have a midweek cup competition. so i don't see why fans will turn off because they are muppets anyway and lap it up

does the arm chair fan around the world really understand what is the difference between league games and cup games their so club are playing in ? league cup. fa cup. premier league. they think its all the same

Premier League is lucrative enough and sustainable on it's own, has been for years. The soft power of Britain and the universal language English means that no league can compete with the Premier League under normal circumstances. If the English clubs hold their ground and stay in the league, it can still compete with the rebel super league.

I just cannot see the appeal. Even with the “if we don’t do it we’ll miss out” type posts. I’m genuinely not interested. I can’t see a scenario where I would be interested. I’m guessing there’s no relegation for this competition? Think about about the number of pointless games!
I would genuinely rather watch English league football. If City join that league I will find another team to follow. I’ve been a City fan my entire life (I’m 52). I’ve always said you can’t pick your club but that’s something I might have to do or walk away from football completely. Real Madrid vs AC Milan playing for 15th and 16th place isn’t my idea of fun. I would rather watch Yeovil Town v Crewe Alexandra and it means something. Not this new corporate shit competition.
All the reports say promotion and relegation is a given, they won't be so naïve.

so has this gone out of the window now

Premier League ‘optimistic’ next TV rights deal will net more than £4.35billion​

The league is already active in selling rights for the next cycle starting in 2022, with a six-year deal for rights in the Nordic region announced earlier this week which was worth a reported £2billion​

if the new european league has any legs ? then this so called new tv deal is dead in the water. so the 2 so called big teams in england will not sign or agree any long term deal ?

Interesting read on BBC.

In the 25 years from 1967 to 1992, before the Premier League began, Manchester United and Liverpool were among the top-six best supported clubs in every single season. Arsenal were in there 19 times, Tottenham 17 and Manchester City 16. Chelsea were in there on four occasions, the same as West Ham but fewer than Leeds and Aston Villa. All are a long way short of Everton, who were included 15 times.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.