New football terminology is stupid

All joking aside, in a multibillion pound industry it shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise that every team will look at every detail, however minuscule it may be to gain an advantage.

Sports science has dragged the game into the modern era and benefited it overall.
If you’re not a fan of it all it’s easy enough to ignore. I’d be surprised if it was aimed at the demographic we have on here tbh.I include myself in that as a mid 40 year old.
hi Sam

Correct, all stats are just measurements. Like taking somebody’s height or weight. xG is just an average, there’s nothing mystical about it, it takes an enormous historic data set of shots on goal and just calculates averages out of it (these days they’re smarter about it but this is the basic premise). If you’re not interested in those averages then fine, nobody is telling you to be interested.

Somebody earlier in the thread said “the difference is that possession can be measured accurately” which just shows you that people don’t really understand even the numbers they’re familiar with. xG as a measure is more precise than possession which is incredibly difficult to determine. One is black and white (the averages are based on whether somebody scored or didn’t), the other has an infinite amount of shades of grey. Possession stats from different vendors conflict literally all the time based on how they measure it.

I have learnt my lesson. Some people are quite happy to deny the reality that this is how the elite professional football clubs use stats these days. They can continue to howl at the moon about how it’s an American import - it’s not, its origins are from a Plymouth fan in the 60s working with a statistician, later built on by subsequent British statisticians, one of which went on to head up analysis at Spurs - but that’s irrelevant. It’s quite clear from the arguments that most don’t actually really know what it is or how it’s used. Some of the arguments being made are totally bizarre.

They can keep dismissively calling it bollocks. Doesn’t change the reality. Like any stat, it’s not the holy grail or anything but it has its uses when people actually understand what it is and what it represents.
Absolutely
Numbers are just numbers.
Stats on their own help you win a game.of top trumps where individual numbers are directly compared with no other variables

In complex, dynamic situations, context and interpretation are the keys.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.