New highway code rules

it was a bit close. Was no need either as nothing coming the other way that the driver had misjudged. Should have taken the fine/course instead of being a stubborn old git.

Thats it - I clicked on the story because it interested me - I watched the clip but then when I read the story I just though what a stupid old bellend - outing himself in the press as one and expecting that somehow to garner sympathy for him is a non starter - can see crowdfunding baling him out at all lol.

A young lad ran into my car once, thankfully he was shaken up by no bones broken.
Fortunately his dad was behind him and saw it all.
They were good as gold about it and the car was repaired by the house insurance, so maybe other than extreme bikes they are insured
Pretty lucky for both you and the young lad.

I'm covered both on my household policy and through my Cycling UK membership (Up to 10M third-part liability).

I think a lot of household policy do cover cycling, but not all.

Yeah, but has it got a set of knobblies, 3 speed Sturmey Archer and cow horn handle bars. Didn't think so !!!
Maybe not, but it has the option of playing cards pegged to the frame to make that "cool" clacking sound against the spokes.

Much safer for who though? I'd argue much safer for the occupants of the vehicle, not so much anyone else.

Yes, cars have gadgets that can slam the brakes on IF it detects an object in its path, and IF the system doesn't have a speed threshold at which that system operates effectively, and there are numerous other bells and whistles warning devices and lane control and radar cruise control and braking assist and traction control and anti-skid... but in general they exist to compensate for POOR AND INATTENTIVE DRIVING, and they allow drivers to drive in a manner unsuited to their level of skill or the road conditions.

If only everyone drove to the test standard within the confines of the rules laid down in the highway code...

On a side note I had a Mk1 Clubman with drum brakes on all 4 corners. Golf brakes were way better in comparison ;-)

Modern cars are also tested against how pedestrians fair in a collision but you’re spot on… far better that the driver pays attention than relies on the car. On my car I get an alert appear as a pre warning which actually diverts my attention away from the thing I’m about to crash into!! It’s actually more dangerous IMHO.

Drums in every corner… lucky the top speed was about 80mph eh? ;) On the early VWs the servos are on the side for LHD cars so take a lot longer to react and aren’t as strong when pressed on RHD or something like that. What it does do is teach you to keep your bloody distance from everyone and everything when on the road.

Modern cars are also tested against how pedestrians fair in a collision but you’re spot on… far better that the driver pays attention than relies on the car. On my car I get an alert appear as a pre warning which actually diverts my attention away from the thing I’m about to crash into!! It’s actually more dangerous IMHO.

Drums in every corner… lucky the top speed was about 80mph eh? ;) On the early VWs the servos are on the side for LHD cars so take a lot longer to react and aren’t as strong when pressed on RHD or something like that. What it does do is teach you to keep your bloody distance from everyone and everything when on the road.
I heavily modded the Mini and like a lemon left the brakes until last. I eventually put 8" Cooper disks on the front and mini-fins on the back ;-)

Cycling to work this morning. White van came past me on a 50mph road. He did not move one inch. He either just did not see me or could not give a fuck if he hit me or not. I felt the van brush my sleeve and the draught nearly had me off. It is fucking terrifying, and even basic human decency would be to give a cyclist space especially at that speed. If that hit me from behind this morning I would have been killed I'm sure of it.

Had too many of those and felt helpless to do anything about them so eventually got cameras on front/back. Won't stop anyone hitting you but there will have evidence if it happens and you can report the bad ones if you think it's necessary.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.