New highway code rules

A typical family car compared to a fuck off expensive Range Rover now.
Very objective.

It was certainly a bit biased. Typical family car have got wider, about 200mm wider than the 1980 Golf not 600mm wider like the Range Rover. Whoever made the “infomatic” also comes across as a knobhead, parked away from kerb as “they don’t like scratching their expensive alloys”. They’re probably vegan as well.

Okay, how about the Kia Sportage, Nissan Juke, Nissan Qashqai, Honda CR-V, Hyundai Tucson, Toyota RAV-4 or the other multitudes of SUV's clogging up the road space which are far cheaper than the Range Rover and therefore becoming much more common on the roads.

Rather than focus on the issue being cars are regularly much wider these days, you've chosen to focus on the 'brand'.

If you want to compare the typical family car of 1980 you should compare it to the typical family car of 2020… not just the largest. Otherwise you’re being a bit disingenuous

Looks to me like he was too close - gauging by the fact there was no-one coming towards them he frankly could have gone to the other kerb and passed safely - there is a joint in the road surface and if you look at the first car ( grey Golf?) and the one that followed the Q8 both went over that to the far side - the Q8 driver stayed the other side which showed he was close.

As for all the protestations about fines and costs - if you read the article he had plenty of chances to bale much more cheaply but he wouldn't and took the expensive route. All his own fault.

it was a bit close. Was no need either as nothing coming the other way that the driver had misjudged. Should have taken the fine/course instead of being a stubborn old git.

If you want to compare the typical family car of 1980 you should compare it to the typical family car of 2020… not just the largest. Otherwise you’re being a bit disingenuous
Both the Range Rover (1904mm) and Kia Sportage (1855mm) are a similar width. Again, it's focusing on the brand rather than the issue being the typical size of the vehicle and Kia's, Hyundai's, Toyota's and Honda's SUV's are very common.

Even new model VW Golf's are 1800mm in width.

Last edited:
Both the Range Rover (1904mm) and Kia Sportage (1855mm) are a similar width. Again, it's focusing on the brand rather than the issue being the typical size of the vehicle and Kia's, Hyundai's, Toyota's and Honda's SUV's are very common.

Even new model VW Golf's are 1800mm in width.

The graphic said the RR was 2220 and I presume that’s how it was represented on the graphic. So the producer is a lying toad, glad that got cleared up. Typically family car is 1820mm today

Okay, how about the Kia Sportage, Nissan Juke, Nissan Qashqai, Honda CR-V, Hyundai Tucson, Toyota RAV-4 or the other multitudes of SUV's clogging up the road space which are far cheaper than the Range Rover and therefore becoming much more common on the roads.

Rather than focus on the issue being cars are regularly much wider these days, you've chosen to focus on the 'brand'.
Even the Golf got way bigger.

The original Mk1 was 1610mm wide. The latest model is 2073mm wide which is almost half a meter wider.

It was certainly a bit biased. Typical family car have got wider, about 200mm wider than the 1980 Golf not 600mm wider like the Range Rover. Whoever made the “infomatic” also comes across as a knobhead, parked away from kerb as “they don’t like scratching their expensive alloys”. They’re probably vegan as well.
There is an image that shows the evolution of the Golf, From Mk1 to the latest model, but I couldn't find it. The image I posted was purely illustrative.

The simple fact is the majority of cars have got wider, heavier and faster in the last 40 years.

There is an image that shows the evolution of the Golf, From Mk1 to the latest model, but I couldn't find it. The image I posted was purely illustrative.

The simple fact is the majority of cars have got wider, heavier and faster in the last 40 years.
Speaking from experience I would say that even a small old car will hurt like fuck if it hits you. Obviously point taken regarding vehicles having grown.

On a separate note, when are car parking spaces going to align with car sizes?

The graphic said the RR was 2220 and I presume that’s how it was represented on the graphic. So the producer is a lying toad, glad that got cleared up. Typically family car is 1820mm today
Certain models of the range rover can be 2220mm, so there's no lie being perpetrated in that sense. https://www.cars24.com/land-rover-range-rover-specifications/

Most suv's are similar in width to Range Rover's and therein lies the issue and the problem. There are much more wider cars on the roads than has ever been for a road system that cannot accomodate such sizes. Even Ford Mondeo's are 2122mm. Cars are getting wider and there's less and less space for overtaking, especially on many of Britain's narrow roads.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.