New laptop

Bought a Dell Laptop with windows 10 for kids to do lockdown lessons.
Downloaded AVG free and Google chrome.
It keeps taking forever to load up onto the internet and a lot of the time it won't load up at all.
Is there something blocking chrome from loading.?

It keeps taking forever to load up onto the internet and a lot of the time it won't load up at all.

Run a speed test see if your connection is good firstly, update the computer through windows 10 updates first. What speed do you get normally? What speed do you get with your phone? Do programs load up snappy or is there a lag? What spec is the laptop?

How much RAM is installed, Win10 and associated background processes use about 3Gb on mine even after trimming the startup.

I'd start with removing AVG Free and just use Windows Defender, it's every bit as good.

The couple of posts above should be your starting points after that.

How much RAM is installed, Win10 and associated background processes use about 3Gb on mine even after trimming the startup.

I am testing a machine at present with a core2quad processor with 4gb of DDR2 installed and windows 10 optimises it and it's very snappy considering its age mate, windows 10 will take what it needs, if you give it more RAM it'll take more RAM.

Your question however could be relevant if it's an old laptop if it's matched with an old CPU, I suspect that's what the problem is and if so it's a combination of things like RAM CPU even a dodgy GPU driver.

I am testing a machine at present with a core2quad processor with 4gb of DDR2 installed and windows 10 optimises it and it's very snappy considering its age mate, windows 10 will take what it needs, if you give it more RAM it'll take more RAM.

Your question however could be relevant if it's an old laptop if it's matched with an old CPU, I suspect that's what the problem is and if so it's a combination of things like RAM CPU even a dodgy GPU driver.
They bought it during lockdown so unless it's 2nd hand it's likely much newer than that.

Run a speed test see if your connection is good firstly, update the computer through windows 10 updates first. What speed do you get normally? What speed do you get with your phone? Do programs load up snappy or is there a lag? What spec is the laptop?

Speed test - Ping 10, Download 165.45, Upload 19.70
Phone - Ping 21, Download 180.55

4gb RAM - 3.77 usuable, Intel i3-1005GI, 1.20Ghz

All programs are slow to start and browser constantly ends up saying not responding.

Speed test - Ping 10, Download 165.45, Upload 19.70
Phone - Ping 21, Download 180.55

4gb RAM - 3.77 usuable, Intel i3-1005GI, 1.20Ghz

All programs are slow to start and browser constantly ends up saying not responding.

Internet connection seems to be fine and your CPU is enough to handle browsing and light tasks with ease, not a lot of RAM even though it is more than likely DDR4 and it should be capable of loading an interent page without issues.

Was it like this when you bought it?
Have you tried to update it? If you haven't you really should.
A poster up thread suggested getting rid of AVG that would be a start because it can cause problems.

Can you open task manager (Just search for it in the search bar or press ctrl&alt+delete at the same time and let us know what programs are running on start up?

Also if you have an ethernet cable could you connect the laptop to the router physically, if the internet behaves faster then we know it's a wireless card issue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.