New v Old supporters

Always had the saying that you were either born blue or manufactured red.

To be a city fan is an experience and once a blue always a blue, no changing teams once you have been bitten by the city bug.

All successful teams will get a fair share of hangers on and glory hunters and this is what we are now going to get but as long as we still maintain our identity of being loyal fans then we have moved on but in our own unique way (i.e the Poznan).

We will always have our hard core supporters and the only thing I ask for is that these hard core don't get priced out of the game.

The football team of choice for Mancunians is City and City have always had a Mancunian identity that those red fuckers don't, but I don't believe you have to come from Manchester to support City. Over the years I've known some proper die hard blues from all over the place (Cheltenham, Glasgow etc)
I respect supporters from out of town, just not the bandwagon pricks who think City were formed when Sheikh Mansoor took over.

I couldn't care less if as a successful club we have a 10% pocket of 'floating' supporters able to fill up the ground as and when required. They will never get the same experience going to the match as a born and bred blue but this is the nature of the modern game. Global premiership coverage, superstar players, and lots of immigrants and foreigners in the UK (although I am from foreign stock ha)!

plastic fans = fans who boo their team half time when they are down 0-1.

dont judge the old guard on some of the idiots who view anyone who does not attend Coms weakly and lives in Manchester as true fans. I live in Manchester and have been a City fan sinse i was 5 and welcome any fan who chooses to follow my team with the same pride and passion as i do. Even if they are not in the same country, funny seeing when i went to visit family in the sates taht most of the people i saw were wearing Real Madrid, Man Utd, Liverpool and Man City shirts. the funniest thing was only the Real madrid and Man City fans could tell you anything about the team or the clubs.lol

Funny in order for us to grow as a financial power we need to conquer markets only Man Utd,Real Madrid and Liverpool have conquered. So lets welcome fans from other countries like we do players.

growing up in the east midlands I used to get a lot of stick about being a city supporter but I went to more away games down south than home games at Maine Rd. Went to a lot of games when we were in div 2 and we still had a great away support..always a great laugh ,win or lose. Seems like people are getting really serious now about winning, hope the fun element stays and we don't end up like Rags/liverpool/ spuds etc. Might even make it back to blitey one day soon and get a game at coms...looks great

idahoblues said:
growing up in the east midlands I used to get a lot of stick about being a city supporter but I went to more away games down south than home games at Maine Rd. Went to a lot of games when we were in div 2 and we still had a great away support..always a great laugh ,win or lose. Seems like people are getting really serious now about winning, hope the fun element stays and we don't end up like Rags/liverpool/ spuds etc. Might even make it back to blitey one day soon and get a game at coms...looks great

We will! That is the price of success. The day Shiek purchased the club and bought Robihno, everything changed. Whether you are an old fan, new fan plastic fan or paper fan. A losing City would not be fun anymore.

This is not your grandfather's City anymore. City is now hurling towards global iconic status. And that comes with all the things CIty fans used to make fun of Man United about. International aclaim. International fans. International players. PLASTIC PLASTIC and More PLASTIC!

With every passing day we will become more like United. The international fans will soon if not already outnumber the home fans. The football will get better, and folks will begin to appreciate it the world over, and support will increase.

I feel a little sad for the old school fans, and I often laugh at some of the jibes hurled at United. This my friends is the price of success. You can't help it, stop it, or change it. The world is coming to support City, and that is just that!!!

didactic said:
Has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a pocket of "old" supporters who feel that it is they and they alone who have the right to support the club?
These are the people who seem to believe that noone outside Manchester is allowed to be a blue or anyone who started supporting the club post 2008 is a "bangwangon jumper" or "glory hunter". Does it matter when someone started supporting the club if they are now loyal to it??

Ill give you examples since we signed Adebayor there are now people from Togo supporting the club, since we signed the Toures we have people in Ivory Coast. Since Silva the Spanish are now aboard, since Dzeko we have a large Bosnian following. Are these people lower down the totem pole because they recently became blues?

I think we are a big club now, when we are mentioned we are being mentioned along with the Real Madrids, Inters and Chelseas this comes with rapid success. That is the price of billions and billions in investment. We are now the biggest club in the arab world. So do these "old" supporters prefer that it goes back to when we couldnt scrape two pennies together but the club felt like their own or what we are now where we are world renowned but also have a large NEW fan base?

I saw Robinho shirts in South Africa, you are watching a Spanish music video you see someone wearing a Silva shirt. I saw a De Jong shirt in a coffee shop in the Netherlands. All City shirts.

I respect the old guard, the guys who started supporting the club before I was even born, but I do not think this gives anyone a right to slag off the newcomers.

What are your thoughts?

If we are to become the dynasty that we all crave we wont be able to do it without new fans. we would never fill a 60-80 000 seater stadium week in week out in the future either without new fans.

I think its great having new fans, we cant expand as a club without this happening

the only thing I would say is this, how can someone who has started supporting the club in the last year or so compare to lots of people on here who have supported the club all their lives and been through all the ups and downs (mostly downs) that supporting city comes with

not that sitting there through all the shit times is a badge of honour, but im just saying it gives you a different perspective than someone who is a "new" fan

How can Benchill be out in the sticks? last time I checked Benchill was in wythenshawe which is by far the largest area of manchester

Just shows YOU proove my point...wythenshawe is a manchester overspill..
as are hattersly,Langley, Heywood, etc...Note All the people on the new estates came from the areas of manchester listed below..

when i think of Manchester its the areas..like gorton,moss side,didsbury,openshaw,moston,ancoats,collyhurst,longsight,levenshulm,fallowfield,withington ardwick etc that are Manchester

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.