Newcastle United (A) | PL | Post Match Thread

The lack of a goal threat with Kev, Bobb and Rodri out is clear. Foden is well off it as is Gundo so everything falls on Haaland to score. He cannot do it on his own.

Other wide and midfield players should be looking to score 6-10 goals per season but hard to see this happening the way they are playing and with chances not being taken when they do arise.

Evidently frustrating to drop points but there were some positives to take.

We consistently played through their press and should've scored at least one more goal in the first half. Gundogan had a bizarre game, seems he's still adjusting to the pace and physicality of the league.

The stock approach to playing City at the moment is a back five out of possession. Joelinton was consistently dropping in between the centre back & Hall to make up a 5. If any team is going to play a system like this, it's ridiculously hard to play through. Their main attacking ploy was to overload the right and channel ball it.

Newcastle also possess a huge amount of running power. So felt a team that provided control, especially given our absences, was fine. We established some good positions and it was a brilliantly worked goal.

Where we've tripped ourselves up is conceding stupid goals. Today is no different - ultimately the segment of play is Grealish taking a poor touch in our half which turns the ball over, which leads to the ball through. Arguable there's not a lot of contact but any referee will give that penalty.

Beyond the daft few minutes, we then pushed them back into a deep block and created sufficient chances to win the game. Good to see Foden looking a lot sharper.

Ultimately, teams are going to play in this fashion to pull the game into 'fine margins' territory. We have to be more alert defensively and far more efficient in front of goal to counter this. Created enough chances to put Inter away and probably enough situations to score two or three goals in this match.

Rico continues to impress and if Pep finds a way to play him and Doku/Savio without losing too much control, then we'll add a lot more threat.

Haven't been at our best but still undefeated and you could make a case for us being 6-0-0 in the league like we were last season.

Obviously Rodri is a massive loss and Walker , Stones , KDB and Gundy ain't getting any younger.

I am not as optimistic given the squad that we can be as competitive as we have been in the past 4 seasons but it will be another intriguing journey and lets hope for the best and we stay relatively injury free from now on because we will need to.

if we could pull off another title with this squad this season it would have to trump all of Peps past achievements.

Unless it's a cup game or an absolute home banker, at least one of Kev, Phil, Doku or Savinho have to start. Obviously Kev was unavailable, but that meant an even bigger necessity for the other three.

I love Pep as much as anyone but how we went into a tricky game like this with none of those guys starting is truly baffling.

Unless it's a cup game or an absolute home banker, at least one of Kev, Phil, Doku or Savinho have to start. Obviously Kev was unavailable, but that meant an even bigger necessity for the other three.

I love Pep as much as anyone but how we went into a tricky game like this with none of those guys starting is truly baffling.
Don't forget that without a dubious penalty against us we would have come away with 3 points

Not really, KDB not available, Foden obviously being gradually brought up to speed expect him to start next week, Doku not as good as Grealish at the moment. I expected Savinho to start myself but think Peps still working out how best to set us up without Rodri,especially in tough away games.

I'm not happy at all because I don't honestly understand why we have the best Forward in the World then play with wingers that will never give him the supply he needs . Sorry but I'm tired of watching him trying to feed off scraps!

Midfield today was a shambles, Gundo sadly very much looks an aged player well past his best, hopefully he will improve, he has to.

Grealish was a huge positive, magnificent 45 minutes, and Walker looked more like it, Akanji exceptional again.

I think under the circumstances this was a good point, such a difficult ground to play at when the crowd are up.

Reactions: PPT
I'm not happy at all because I don't honestly understand why we have the best Forward in the World then play with wingers that will never give him the supply he needs . Sorry but I'm tired of watching him trying to feed off scraps!
Today, not only was Erling isolated (Bernie hardly left the touchline until 79 minutes in) with little support from the wide forwards.
Also, nobody played the #10 role until Phil came on.
Erling is a special player, but he needs to have support.
Alvarez & Erling didn't really click together, but Alvarez created danger in and around the penalty area when he played.
This took attention away from Erling...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.