Next Captain

sell him and put kompany in his place with de jong/zabaleta in DM with gareth barry. id give micah until january to prove his worth after the crap season he had and if not put zabba at RB and buy a new CB/DM as cover

blu4life said:
sell him and put kompany in his place with de jong/zabaleta in DM with gareth barry. id give micah until january to prove his worth after the crap season he had and if not put zabba at RB and buy a new CB/DM as cover

Your all getting a bit a head of yourselves.
Dunne is still a class act and has had a shit load of bad defenders around him all season.
Richards has been off the mark, Bridge has been left wanting at times, Ned had to grow in to the role.
Without him we would have been fooked.

Come on peeps, with some new defenders Dunne is still the man. Captain.

Cully said:
blu4life said:

Your all getting a bit a head of yourselves.
Dunne is still a class act and has had a shit load of bad defenders around him all season.
Richards has been off the mark, Bridge has been left wanting at times, Ned had to grow in to the role.
Without him we would have been fooked.

Come on peeps, with some new defenders Dunne is still the man. Captain.
Season before yes starter every game without doubt. Season just gone he was awful never mind players around him a captain leads by example he didn't. His sending off V hamburg tells you his judgement isn't what it should be he was too rash on numerous occasions squad player at best now and that hurts me to say it because I know how much fight he put in to get himself on the straight and narrow.

Dunne's had his day ...... his mistakes are now outweighing his good performances ....... get Hangerland of Fulham in to bolster the defence , and Dunne should then be taken out of the firing line ...... one way or the other!

dunne been one of my favourites for last five or six years but time for him to go . kompany will be captain. he'd do a cracking job

I don't know, Dunne's been a great servant, will he remain as captain..only time will tell I suppose.
But what you need with captains is that they're always there, but that they're not just there because they're captain.
You need you're captain on the pitch with you, but you also need the captain to be the best option there for his position.
If you look at succesful clubs, captains. Not becoming liabilities and just going along for the ride, being played only because they're captain.

You look at past succesful captains..Roy Keane, was there a better captain or player.
Gerrard, Liverpool's shining light even in the pitch black tunnel they find themselves in some times..etc.

A captain needs to be able to stand up and fight when things even when things are falling to absolute pieces around them, they need to be the ones who can stand up and give a Lions roar.

Can Dunne, was that season a one off? I'd like to think so.

If I'm honest though, the one player at the club who imo fits that bill, who answers that question is Shay Given.

A natural leader, he's an excellent record of his team winning when he's captain (with Ireland or Newcastle.) When everything was crumbling, falling to pieces around him, when Newcastle was being shaken to it's very core, when all the other players hung their heads in defeat Given never stopped, not once.

He put up his hand, he gave a lions roar. He'd always give 120% which seperated him from a lot of players over the years.

He'd go from the very first second of the game to the final whistle. Be it being up 2-0 in the 90th minute against West Ham, and going down for the ball when he could have easily let Harewood go, but not at all, not Given. And what happens, he's almost killed.
Or be it when things are so desperate, when he is the last and at times, only man left standing, like against Cyprus there a few years ago, or against Liverpool there before he came to City.
The game I think that pushed Given over the edge, towards City.

He would give and still does, 120% effort while all those around him would stand still and have given in. Even at 5-1 down against Liverpool he was still working as hard as he had been at 0-0. Which is why he'd be the one of the only ones in the football who could be a keeper on the loosing side of 5-1 and still be named MOTM.
He was the only player that had the right to hold his head up high leaving that game. But Given being Given, his hung the lowest.
He was the only one who looked disgusted, dejected, distraught, furious and frustrated.

Right up to the last game he played for Newcastle, when he knew himself that he was probably going to leave. He gave it absolutely everything and has done the same for Ireland over the years and is doing the same thing now with City.

He's always been the go to guy. The captain of the inbetweeners when Newcastle were looking for a manager ever other week, Given would nearly always be temporary captain, but it always came down to the same thing when a manager was put in place. He wasn't an outfield player. But every man and his dog ant Newcastle knew that Given had earned that captaincy, especially in the last season, Owen didn't earn or deserve it, but yet again Given just took it on the chin and got on with it.

He's a great lad, he'll lift the team and he makes those inspirational saves that push his team on, but at the end of the day, I think at best though, he'll probably get vice captain, for the same reason he's been vice captain over and over again at Newcastle and Ireland..he's a keeper.

Captain, Kompany maybe, I don't know. There are a few options, and only time will tell who the best choice is. It'll be interesting to see what happens though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.