Next Captain

I think Barry steps up as a natural captain, but it feels a bit wierd having a new signing coming straight in as club captain doesn't it? I'd like to see Given given (given given?!) this role to kick us off as like you say he's going to feature every game and seems to be a natural leader.

Not sure superman comes across as much of a leader.

Outsider but what about Nedum? He's captained England successfully, he's bright and come through the ranks

I was actually going to post this as a topic today.

The primary credential has to be someone who is going to feature in 90+% games from the start (barring injury).

I wouldn't go with Given as I don't like keepers being captain. So to me that would leave Ireland, Barry, Toure and maybe Lescott if he arrives as guaranteed starters.

All other outfield positions will be rotated much more regularly as we need to have stability in the centre of defence and midfield.

My choice would be Ireland. He's been here the longest and knows the club and has a good relationship with the fans. He's had some off field troubles but has shown in the past couple of seasons with his off-field regime how important football is to him and those are all hallmarks of a leader IMO.

I think Barry would make a great captain. I don't think it would be a problem for a new signing to come in and be made captain either. Keith Curle came in as captain when he signed for us if I remember correctly and I don't remember any problems with that. And of course if we had signed John Terry I'm 100% sure he would have been given the armband.

bluebeard2804 said:
Outsider but what about Nedum? He's captained England successfully, he's bright and come through the ranks

Possibly a solid future captain, but not in the next 4/5 years, same should be said about Richards too, both need valuable experience for club and country to be able to lead a team of superstars. I think they gained alot from dunne over the years and now maybe Toure can help them develop further.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.