Next Captain

Tricky one to call . I guess it depends on central defensive signings and whether Dunne stays. Atm Given, Barry, Ireland and Bridge are probably the only ones who might count themselves as definite starters. Whilst being club captain does not automatically mean you need to be a starter, I think it is preferable. On that basis I'd give it Ireland. He seems to be someone who reacts well to being given responsibility. I also think that he represents the more acceptable face of Manchester City i.e. academy graduate who, in spite of an 'unfortunate' start to his career, really turned it around. With all the changes in the club, I would prefer a captain who understands what City are and has some sense of their history. I think Stevie has been at the club for about 8 years, so with the exception of Dunne, is probably well placed in this respect. Ireland has also learned to graft and now sets a great example in his own personal application. I also think that Given, Barry, Toure, Komapy etc. will still give their twopenneth on the pitch irrespective of whether they are captain or not.
So for me,

First Choice:
Ireland (if he wants the responsibility)

or my curve ball:
Robinho (controversial and a gamble) - but is another one who might raise his game if given the responsibilty? Can't remember the game that he deputised last year, but his application definitely benefitted from the responsibility.

Man1City said:
why do people insist on new players being the aptain, it doesnt work that way!

Don't think anyone is insisting on that but most people on here think, Richard Dunne is going to be on the bench from now on, in which case we'll need a new captain.

Kompany would probably be captain material but I have a feeling he won't start too many games, so Barry then Ireland for me.

I think the captain might be either Ireland or Kompany.

--------------Given---------------
----------------------------------
Richards--Toure--Kompany--Bridge
----------------------------------
--------DeJong---Barry-----------
-------------Ireland--------------
Tevez--------------------Robinho
------------Adebayor------------

I think looking at the squad i would have that when Kompany is fit. And if we get Lescott i would play him at LB

Ok. Not that i dont like the bloke or that he's a bad player because he's not. But a lot of people keep saying Kompany. I for one cant see Kompany playing in our first 11.

Ireland and Given for me.

TheLegendOfBerti said:
id prefer given to be captain 2bh, i think hes the loudest out of any uve suggested, we still need a leader.

Not a bad idea there. I wouldn't mind Barry if it's not going to be Dunne, but I seriously doubt Ireland would want the job

this post was inspired by this thread :
<a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=133353&hilit=captain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=10&t=133353&hilit=captain</a>

With a shiny new team it seems our long serving captain, Richard Dunne, will not play a first team role this season, so who will replace him?

I'd like to hear your views on who should get the responsibility this season, and who you think should be our long term captain.

Contenders would be:

Dunne (current captain)
Ireland (Mr city?)
Kompany (covered for dunne last season)
Barry (former villa captain)
Richards (Former youth team captain)
Given (experienced and influential)
SWP (another city lifer)
Toure (captained arsenal the other day)

i suppose you could throw De Jong and Bridge in there too

I'd personally like to see Barry as our long term captain, he's experienced the pressure and is one of the first names on the team sheet, but i think he needs at least 1 season under his belt for us before he's given the role.

Therefore i think either Given or Superman should get the role this season, although it might have a negative effect come next season when the captaincy is handed over...

I've heard that Hughes is considering of keeping Dunne as captain this season, but would that be a mistake as he wont always be the first name on the team sheet? I think it would.

What do you guys think?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.