Next seasons average crowd.

worsleyweb said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
plattlaneregular said:
I'm presuming you misunderstood what I was saying. I was backing Swales in this. There were huge crowds on many occasions. It appeared that de niro was mocking Swales v Sheikh Mansour by saying 32k if Swales in charge?

By the way the attendance v Charlton was 48k.
It's true to say that occasionally I get corrected on factual matters relating to City, but it's a rare occurrence and I'm sorry to inform you that this is not one such occasion, as by common consent, my attendance figure was considerably more accurate than yours.

I believe I can state with some confidence, that de niro was saying was that Swales would have declared the crowd at 32,000, less than the actual figure, something he routinely did, the most notable and well rehearsed example being the Charlton game, when the Kippax was dangerously over full and the aisles in the Platt Lane were chock-a-block. Where the missing money went from these anomalies one can only guess, but my experience of men like Peter Swales suggests it wasn't to the local dogs home.

You therefore presumed in a way that was wholly incorrect. I was fully aware that you were defending Swales and I was pointing towards the risibility of such a stance.

I'm sure Peter Swales convinced himself he loved City, much as a wife-beating husband convinces himself he loves his spouse. Actions speak louder than words. Swales was a small-time crook who used City as a vessel to feed his small-man syndrome and out of control ego. A man who consciously surrounded himself with yes-men who were hopelessly ill-equipped for the demands of being a director of a leading football club, in order to shore up his own position. All that would matter much less if he had displayed any discernible judgement or vision during the currency of his tenure.

To defend Swales is to defend the indefensible.

He got a wonderfully well respected minutes silence.
Wonderfully MC'd by Vince Miller it was too.

worsleyweb said:
It's true to say that occasionally I get corrected on factual matters relating to City, but it's a rare occurrence and I'm sorry to inform you that this is not one such occasion, as by common consent, my attendance figure was considerably more accurate than yours.

I believe I can state with some confidence, that de niro was saying was that Swales would have declared the crowd at 32,000, less than the actual figure, something he routinely did, the most notable and well rehearsed example being the Charlton game, when the Kippax was dangerously over full and the aisles in the Platt Lane were chock-a-block. Where the missing money went from these anomalies one can only guess, but my experience of men like Peter Swales suggests it wasn't to the local dogs home.

You therefore presumed in a way that was wholly incorrect. I was fully aware that you were defending Swales and I was pointing towards the risibility of such a stance.

I'm sure Peter Swales convinced himself he loved City, much as a wife-beating husband convinces himself he loves his spouse. Actions speak louder than words. Swales was a small-time crook who used City as a vessel to feed his small-man syndrome and out of control ego. A man who consciously surrounded himself with yes-men who were hopelessly ill-equipped for the demands of being a director of a leading football club, in order to shore up his own position. All that would matter much less if he had displayed any discernible judgement or vision during the currency of his tenure.

Oh yes forgot about him - the Mike Mclean of the 1990s - He used to look like a cross between Francis Lee and Jimmy Tarbuck - is that him?

worsleyweb said:

I always think back to the Bournemouth 3-3 promotion game. Crowd given as 30,000 yet the whole ground, except the Platt lane, was completely packed. Bizarrely we played Palace a few weeks earlier, much smaller crowd but a larger attendance given (I think)

worsleyweb said:
worsleyweb said:

Oh yes forgot about him - the Mike Mclean of the 1990s - He used to look like a cross between Francis Lee and Jimmy Tarbuck - is that him?
It is. He was Franny's mate, or at least I assumed he was as it provided the only rational explanation for his short, but..errr.....memorable stint at hosting the pre-match entertainment towards the end of that all too unforgettable 1995/6 season. I expect in the early 1970's he was quite de rigueur on the northern variety club circuit at places like the Poco a Poco in Stockport and the Aquairius in Chesterfield, but by the mid 90's all he provided was a point of accentuation to the wider tragi-comedy that day against Liverpool descended into; which itself represented so much about what our club had become, ultimately as a result of Swales shambolic mismanagement of City, it should be said.

Nice rendition of 'Land and Hope and Glory' though.

franksinatra said:
worsleyweb said:

I always think back to the Bournemouth 3-3 promotion game. Crowd given as 30,000 yet the whole ground, except the Platt lane, was completely packed. Bizarrely we played Palace a few weeks earlier, much smaller crowd but a larger attendance given (I think)
Yes mate, the Bourenmouth game is another prominent example, as were some of the Derbies in the mid-80's. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Swales looked upon the Bouremouth game with mixed feelings, providing as it did, yet another possible opportunity to skim some further gate receipts off at the play-off semi home leg, if we failed to do the business against Bradford.

franksinatra said:
worsleyweb said:

Taken from the history section of BM: <a class="postlink" href="http://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matches/Season.aspx?id=88" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matc ... aspx?id=88</a>

We played Palace at home on the bank holiday Monday at the start of May and it was between us and them for promotion (the game where Gleghorn kept goal for the entire second half). The crowd was given as 33,456.

Bournemouth was the following Saturday, 5 days later, and the crowd was given as 30,564.

One thing to remember is that the whole Platt Lane stand in those days, all 8K seats, was given over to away fans. IIRC, Palace brought a really big contingent, because a win would have made them favourites to take the second promotion spot after they'd spent 8 years outside the top flight. Bournemouth brought about 150 fans, IIRC.

Still, immediately after Hillsborough (which happened a couple of weeks earlier), the capacity at MR had been cut to 48K or so. Disregarding the Platt Lane, that left 40K places for City fans round the rest of the ground. Could you have fitted 10K more City fans into the ground at either the Palace game or the Bornemouth game?

BTW - that's a great post about Swales, GDM. Spot on.

franksinatra said:

Yes mate, the Bourenmouth game is another prominent example, as were some of the Derbies in the mid-80's. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Swales looked upon the Bouremouth game with mixed feelings, providing as it did, yet another possible opportunity to skim some further gate receipts off at the play-off semi home leg, if we failed to do the business against Bradford.

I just had a quick look at the Youtube video. The whole of the Kippax, including the away terrace and corner, was completely packed. All seats were sold out.

petrusha said:
franksinatra said:

Taken from the history section of BM: <a class="postlink" href="http://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matches/Season.aspx?id=88" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matc ... aspx?id=88</a>

We played Palace at home on the bank holiday Monday at the start of May and it was between us and them for promotion (the game where Gleghorn kept goal for the entire second half). The crowd was given as 33,456.

Bournemouth was the following Saturday, 5 days later, and the crowd was given as 30,564.

One thing to remember is that the whole Platt Lane stand in those days, all 8K seats, was given over to away fans. IIRC, Palace brought a really big contingent, because a win would have made them favourites to take the second promotion spot after they'd spent 8 years outside the top flight. Bournemouth brought about 150 fans, IIRC.

Still, immediately after Hillsborough (which happened a couple of weeks earlier), the capacity at MR had been cut to 48K or so. Disregarding the Platt Lane, that left 40K places for City fans round the rest of the ground. Could you have fitted 10K more City fans into the ground at either the Palace game or the Bornemouth game?

BTW - that's a great post about Swales, GDM. Spot on.

It is a rough breakdown but I am pretty sure at that time the ground consisted of 26,000 seats and the remainder standing (reduced from 26,500) when capacity was 52,500.

Exactly? Have a look at the You tube video. The Kippax is full, even filling the corner adjacent to the Platt Lane and as we know now only a few empty seat is noticeable. Find an empty one. Taking away the Platt lane that is still 18,000 seats sold.

franksinatra said:
It is a rough breakdown but I am pretty sure at that time the ground consisted of 26,000 seats and the remainder standing (reduced from 26,500) when capacity was 52,500.

Exactly? Have a look at the You tube video. The Kippax is full, even filling the corner adjacent to the Platt Lane and as we know now only a few empty seat is noticeable. Find an empty one. Taking away the Platt lane that is still 18,000 seats sold.

I agree. And if there were 18,000 seats sold, that means that the Kippax must have had around 12,000 in there - so in effect, it was less than half full based on the capacity in effect between 1973 and April 1989. Looking at the video, it appears a bit more than half full to me. To announce a 30,000 gate was really taking the piss.

KenTheLandlord said:
Questy said:
ancoats said:
right just did this quick calculation on my peter swales 1980s calculator and it said 17.679

elka-51-vintage-desktop-calculator-bulgaria-1980s-working-green-nixie-tube-display.jpg

Liar that says 12,456 ;-)

The 3 not count?

It does but only left for the Eagle Eyed Viewers ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.