Niall Quinn- 1st player to be sent off in the Premiership?

M18CTID said:
Sterling Silva said:
I seem to remember being on the kippax for this too. Am i right in thinking because it was the first Monday night match there were fireworks and someone playing (miming) Baker st on the pitch?????

Yes, Undercover was the name of the band and they played a mimed version of Baker Street at half-time. I don't think they would've been in a rush to come back to Maine Road after the, ahem, stick they received from plenty of us on the Kippax.

Several weeks later I was at Highbury for a Monday night game against Arsenal where The Shamen received a similar amount of stick from the Gooners for miming to Ebeneezer Goode at half-time ;)

That Shamen performance was one of the most cringeworthy things I've seen at a match.

Quinny was definitely sent off against Boro at Ayresome Park - he got a straight red for twatting Paul Wilkinson. Went to that game, got beat 2-0 and Lakey did his cruiciate in again and never fully recovered. Don't know if he was the first in the Prem though - Mickey adams was sent off against QPR - he played for Southampton!

Didn't the parachutists get a load of abuse too, for being called the Red Devils?

Undercover were tragic. But the most cringeworthy thing I remember at Maine Road was the announcer trying to get the Kippax to sing The Only Way Is Up by Yazz when Franny took over a few years later

M18CTID said:
Sterling Silva said:
I seem to remember being on the kippax for this too. Am i right in thinking because it was the first Monday night match there were fireworks and someone playing (miming) Baker st on the pitch?????

Yes, Undercover was the name of the band and they played a mimed version of Baker Street at half-time. I don't think they would've been in a rush to come back to Maine Road after the, ahem, stick they received from plenty of us on the Kippax.

Several weeks later I was at Highbury for a Monday night game against Arsenal where The Shamen received a similar amount of stick from the Gooners for miming to Ebeneezer Goode at half-time ;)

Ha ha, the shamen. Glad it wasn't my mind playing tricks on me, bit off topic, am i also correct in thinking we didn't win on sky until Leicester away at Filbert st. years later. (the only ground i might add where the level of the seats in the 2nd row was fecking lower than the seats on the 1st row so as a kid you couldn't see shit)

Quinny was definitely sent off against Boro at Ayresome Park - he got a straight red for twatting Paul Wilkinson. Went to that game, got beat 2-0 and Lakey did his cruiciate in again and never fully recovered. Don't know if he was the first in the Prem though.

This is 100% correct. I was at that game as well and Quinn thought the lad had done Lakey.

MATCITY said:
Was only 6 at the time but i just googled it and it says both plyers were sent off but not who was first

There were two players red carded on 15 August 1992, Mick Adams of Queens Park Rangers and Niall Quinn of Manchester City. Prior games did not see any players sent off in the inaugural season of the Premier League

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_was_the_first_player_to_be_sent_off_in_the_FA_premier_league

Don't believe everything you read on the internet! Niall Quinn was sent off at Boro but not V QPR. Also the game was played on 17th not 15th.

QUINN NOT SENT OFF V QPR - QUINN SENT OFF AT BORO

I don't know the timing of the incidents but Quinn was sent off 'midway through the first half' according to a report I have of the Boro-City game on 19th August.

Mick Adams was sent off for Southampton against QPR that same night.

I don't (as yet) have timings for either sending off.

There are a few references out there for Adams being the first player sent off in the PL though.

Gary James said:
I don't know the timing of the incidents but Quinn was sent off 'midway through the first half' according to a report I have of the Boro-City game on 19th August.

Mick Adams was sent off for Southampton against QPR that same night.

I don't (as yet) have timings for either sending off.

That timing for Quinn's red card matches my memory of it, I'd have said around 25 mins.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.