Nicolas Otamendi - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think Pep has first or second choice, I think he expects to be pushing on four fronts each season and knows that to do so there will be more than enough matches to accommodate 20 or more top class players and expects them all to be able to perform well enough to beat anyone in Europe.

I agree but this is where I'm caught up...Nico hasn't been dropped for three seasons and if there's a single position where you don't need to rotate often it's CB (?). Why rotate a guy that doesn't need to be rotated?

@domalino @Dax777 @Neville Kneville @mosssideblue @Andrew___K @FantasyIreland @karen7

Watching the game back and I just can't see Nico being second choice for years to come now despite having Stones + Laporte. Just curious how you guys project our back line going forward.

3 ATB + rotation is the easy answer but I'm just curious how you guys see it.

Obviously everyone else can jump in too.
To be honest the way I see us line up going forward is having Otamendi pair up with Laporte for the time being. Long term I hope it would be Stones and Laporte. Kompany is there to provide that extra insurance and should be managed very well and in my opinion should not be allowed to play 2 games in a row especially when we have multiple games in a single week.

@domalino @Dax777 @Neville Kneville @mosssideblue @Andrew___K @FantasyIreland @karen7

Watching the game back and I just can't see Nico being second choice for years to come now despite having Stones + Laporte. Just curious how you guys project our back line going forward.

3 ATB + rotation is the easy answer but I'm just curious how you guys see it.

Obviously everyone else can jump in too.

I doubt many people would have picked Vincent Kompany for today's game. Pep did, & look at the outcome ( which is another example of how it's impossible to guage how he sees things).

I think he wants to play 3 at the back sometimes, but I think most of all he has wanted 4 decent centre backs in the squad, to do with, as he sees fit.

Over the course of this season, Otamendi has become the No1 cb, but before his injury, Stones was looking like becoming that player (unfortunately he has been reincarnated as William Prunier, since he came back but hopefully that will soon blow over) and today, imo, we saw the best performance of the season by any City cb, by Kompany.

Pep has two fairly young cbs, who 'could' grow to be a fantastic pairing, but for all we know, that could be 4 years from now & he decides Kompany & Otamendi play all the biggest games from now on, until VK gets injured again.

The point being; I don't think Pep cares. It will be down to how well the players play & how suited they are to the opposition.

Otamendi will be first choice if he merits it. But if Stones, Laporte, even Kompany, merit it, they will get the nod. Pep, imo, will try to have 4 'partners' who can all play as pairs, & if one doesn't perform consistently, over a season he'll demote him then sell him. Even Stones or Laporte.

We now have 4 players, fighting for the shirt. Which is brilliant.

I agree but this is where I'm caught up...Nico hasn't been dropped for three seasons and if there's a single position where you don't need to rotate often it's CB (?). Why rotate a guy that doesn't need to be rotated?

Its a fair point and I dont imagine he would like it anymore than Kun seems too....but If there are 4 very decent centre backs fit and ready I reckon he will have to get used to it. Might not be quite as often as it might be because I think that the Value of Kompany being available at key times will have been recognised by Pep, and may well be used sparingly, dare I say like the red twats used Sheringham. Like that was for them Pep doing the same with Kompany could just turn out just as much a stroke of genius for us as it was them back then.

I doubt many people would have picked Vincent Kompany for today's game. Pep did, & look at the outcome ( which is another example of how it's impossible to guage how he sees things).

I think he wants to play 3 at the back sometimes, but I think most of all he has wanted 4 decent centre backs in the squad, to do with, as he sees fit.

Over the course of this season, Otamendi has become the No1 cb, but before his injury, Stones was looking like becoming that player (unfortunately he has been reincarnated as William Prunier, since he came back but hopefully that will soon blow over) and today, imo, we saw the best performance of the season by any City cb, by Kompany.

Pep has two fairly young cbs, who 'could' grow to be a fantastic pairing, but for all we know, that could be 4 years from now & he decides Kompany & Otamendi play all the biggest games from now on, until VK gets injured again.

The point being; I don't think Pep cares. It will be down to how well the players play & how suited they are to the opposition.

Otamendi will be first choice if he merits it. But if Stones, Laporte, even Kompany, merit it, they will get the nod. Pep, imo, will try to have 4 'partners' who can all play as pairs, & if one doesn't perform consistently, over a season he'll demote him then sell him. Even Stones or Laporte.

Great post. That makes a lot of sense.

Totally agree

He's been the best CB in England this season and it's not even close.
the-man-with-no-name-nod.gif

We were incredibly unfortunate to lose Mendy to injury so early on. Don't think we've seen 3ATB since then and when he returns it'll be played more regularly, with Otamendi, Kompany and one of Stones/Laporte being flanked by Walker/Danilo and Mendy. I can't wait because I love seeing the fullbacks so high up.

One of the best players that I've ever seen when attacking the ball in the air - certainly in today's game.

He's always been quality and now he's adapted his style, he's better than ever. Should go down as one of our greatest all-time defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.