North Stand Construction Discussion

Did they take the reverse angled poles out too on the South Stand? I really can't remember.

47f246b59f374f1779b3c81345620b1a.jpg

Did they take the reverse angled poles out too on the South Stand? I really can't remember.

They built around them. The angle of the third tier is built so that the supports don’t interfere with the stand and the cables pass through the stand between terracing and roof.

At the North Stand end the rake of the tier means the supports would be blocked by the terracing and sky bar so they had to develop the solution where the supports were removed and the cables clamped to the new towers.

Last edited:
Interestingly, they could extend back with the third tiers of the east & west stands without removing the towers. There’s quite a bit of space. If you assume that they’d only go back as for as the supports, it would be far less complex than the North & South stand builds (I think ).
82cf1c05c04e5b8fc816b8d2681db3b5.jpg

Interestingly, they could extend back with the third tiers of the east & west stands without removing the towers. There’s quite a bit of space. If you assume that they’d only go back as for as the supports, it would be far less complex than the North & South stand builds (I think ).
82cf1c05c04e5b8fc816b8d2681db3b5.jpg

The sides would be far more difficult than either of the ends. The club have even spoken out this year about how hard it will be to increase the capacity further when the North Stand is completed.

The masts on top of the spirals are a bottleneck and they’re also much higher up than the end supports meaning a clamping solution would be difficult. With those cables in place you also wonder where a new roof would even go - you’d think above the cables but you can’t build that high because of the masts...

As long as the original cable net remains in place they also won’t be able to do the corners since the cables come in from all 4 of them.

The sides would be far more difficult than either of the ends. The club have even spoken out this year about how hard it will be to increase the capacity further when the North Stand is completed.

The masts on top of the spirals are a bottleneck and they’re also much higher up than the end supports meaning a clamping solution would be difficult. With those cables in place you also wonder where a new roof would even go - you’d think above the cables but you can’t build that high because of the masts...

As long as the original cable net remains in place they also won’t be able to do the corners since the cables come in from all 4 of them.

Fair point. I’m talking about not going beyond the masts though. If you use them as a limit point then you don’t need to clamp them, merely leave them in place to support the net. It’s a compromised expansion in terms of max exploitation of capacity, but it would allow an expansion.

You’re right, the roof angle would be a huge issue though. Bringing cables through a roof would end up with a Swamp style water feature

Unless (and I’m not sure the viewing angles would work) the new roof beams sat just under the cable-net. If it worked then the new roof would sit under the current cables.

All just blue-sky thinking, but definitely not as simple as I first thought

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.