North Stand Construction Discussion

Slight exaggeration.
Yours or mine? I can understand people complaining that the down payment is too high for flex-gold but the concept reflects many fans’ attendance at games. Many thousands of season cards / tickets are transferred for every game. The norm is north of 10k, I understand.

Last edited:
I watched the Rangers game today where the Union Bears, the main singing group, have been moved from one end of Ibrox to the other.

Previously the Union Bears had been in a corner of the Broomloan Stand where most people were stood up and the away fans were located, albeit in the opposite corner.

Today it seemed quite incongruous with the Union Bears stood in the middle of the Copland Road stand and fans in the blocks either side of them sat down.

It struck me that the atmosphere was worse, as previously those stood in the Broomloan stand would join in with the Union Bears but now being at the opposite end they didn't and neither did those fans sat adjacent to them in the Copland Road stand.

I think this is a cautionary tale for this new "all things to all people" North Stand and it's quite likely that those sat in front of the standing section at the back won't be joining in the songs and so the noise won't travel very far. Also, at the Etihad there are more people who will join in with songs in the south side of the ground than the north and there isn't going to be a mass movement of these people, even if a few singers move to the new North stand.

Additionally at City, the vocal fans have always congregated around the away fans.

And if the new stand is all flexi gold it will be a moot point anyway as not many people will move .

So imo the most vocal area will remain the South Stand, both L1 and L3, when the new North Stand opens. As has been mentioned on here previously, it's a great shame 1894 didn't move to SSL3 when it opened.

I watched the Rangers game today where the Union Bears, the main singing group, have been moved from one end of Ibrox to the other.

Previously the Union Bears had been in a corner of the Broomloan Stand where most people were stood up and the away fans were located, albeit in the opposite corner.

Today it seemed quite incongruous with the Union Bears stood in the middle of the Copland Road stand and fans in the blocks either side of them sat down.

It struck me that the atmosphere was worse, as previously those stood in the Broomloan stand would join in with the Union Bears but now being at the opposite end they didn't and neither did those fans sat adjacent to them in the Copland Road stand.

I think this is a cautionary tale for this new "all things to all people" North Stand and it's quite likely that those sat in front of the standing section at the back won't be joining in the songs and so the noise won't travel very far. Also, at the Etihad there are more people who will join in with songs in the south side of the ground than the north and there isn't going to be a mass movement of these people, even if a few singers move to the new North stand.

Additionally at City, the vocal fans have always congregated around the away fans.

And if the new stand is all flexi gold it will be a moot point anyway as not many people will move .

So imo the most vocal area will remain the South Stand, both L1 and L3, when the new North Stand opens. As has been mentioned on here previously, it's a great shame 1894 didn't move to SSL3 when it opened.
It takes time to change things. The new north stand will be completely new so I don’t see the point in comparing it to say rangers or saying that end of the ground is quiet.

From what I’ve heard at rangers the idea is to make that end of the ground into a home end. The biggest difference being we will have safe standing and rangers don’t. The union bears were completely tucked away in the corner as well, with no room for any growth - similar to the 1894 group in that small block.

I also don’t agree with the idea that we need a mass movement of people from the south stand. We could easily fill a home end and keep what we have in the south stand. Most clubs have two standing sections either side of the ground, of course we could have similar.

Make SSL3 all safe standing.
Have an OAP section somewhere else in the ground for those who can’t or won’t stand.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.