Northern Ireland vs. Wales attendance

As I said on a different thread Northern Ireland an their FA,instead of moaning and crying about players declaring for the republic,should take a look at themselves.They should be asking themselves why these young lads would sooner play for the republic!

/\
This... and the fact that the IFA have done the sum total of absolutely nothing to appeal against FIFA's rule that you cannot play for Northern Ireland if you have an Irish passport.
Any half-hearted appeal from the IFA (individual players can only make an appeal through their parent body) would have to be accepted by FIFA as the right to an Irish passport for anybody living in the six counties is a democratic right sanctioned by the people on both sides of the border after an international agreement that was overseen by the UN.
Instead, the IFA would rather cut off their nose to spite their face and whine about having players 'stolen'.
Sooner or later, a player is going to find an angle to sue the IFA on this issue and then, they'll change their tune. Loyalty to the half crown far outweighs loyalty to the crown - just think back to Ian Paisley insisting that he was Irish when England, Scotland and Wales were riddled with Mad Cow Disease and (later) Foot and Mouth.

PrestwichPeteMcfc said:
leighton said:
PrestwichPeteMcfc said:
Won't it only be Irish nationals who choose to play for the republic?

More and more Catholics are choosing to play for Ireland. There is not a lot N Ireland can do under the Good Friday agreement everyone on the Island of Ireland is entitled to have a Irish passport so if they want to play for Ireland they are aloud to do so. I think most of those players who have changed all were catholics and must of seen the shit that happend to Lennon and thought they would be better off playing for Ireland instead of the hassle of playing for N Ireland.

I have always stated this and will always state it that long term there is no future for N Ireland and if they keep going to FIFA or UEFA about this they may force there hands and make it 1 team in Ireland. I wouldnt mind seeing it happen and a overhaul of both leagues would benefit all the teams and it cuts out all the shit about robbing players.

They're quite right to play for the Republic.
NI are making out like the Republic are nicking all the best players and leaving them with the shit. They're not, players are just choosing to play for a country they're citizens of.
I can't see the orange side in the north being happy about an all Ireland team, but it's be best for both sides I think

In every other sport on the Island its a All Ireland team and there is no bad feeling about it. Even now we have a new national anthem that is used in Rugby and Cricket. There is never any hassle from the orange side to the other sports if anything it brings the fans closer together.

leighton said:
PrestwichPeteMcfc said:
leighton said:
More and more Catholics are choosing to play for Ireland. There is not a lot N Ireland can do under the Good Friday agreement everyone on the Island of Ireland is entitled to have a Irish passport so if they want to play for Ireland they are aloud to do so. I think most of those players who have changed all were catholics and must of seen the shit that happend to Lennon and thought they would be better off playing for Ireland instead of the hassle of playing for N Ireland.

I have always stated this and will always state it that long term there is no future for N Ireland and if they keep going to FIFA or UEFA about this they may force there hands and make it 1 team in Ireland. I wouldnt mind seeing it happen and a overhaul of both leagues would benefit all the teams and it cuts out all the shit about robbing players.

NI are making out like the Republic are nicking all the best players and leaving them with the shit. They're not, players are just choosing to play for a country they're citizens of.
I can't see the orange side in the north being happy about an all Ireland team, but it's be best for both sides I think

In every other sport on the Island its a All Ireland team and there is no bad feeling about it. Even now we have a new national anthem that is used in Rugby and Cricket. There is never any hassle from the orange side to the other sports if anything it brings the fans closer together.

The thing is Football has more idiot fans than those other sports. I can't see it ever happening.

PrestwichPeteMcfc said:
leighton said:
PrestwichPeteMcfc said:
Won't it only be Irish nationals who choose to play for the republic?

Never seems to be a problem with the Ireland RU team..... strange!

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
PrestwichPeteMcfc said:
leighton said:

Never seems to be a problem with the Ireland RU team..... strange!
Like someone said football has more idiot fans than most sports.

Add to that, there have always been Northern and Republic Ireland football teams since separation. I don't think thats the case with Rugby and Cricket.

Amalgamation of NI Supporters' Clubs chairman Gary McAllister criticised the FAI in addressing the player drain to the Republic in an open letter in the Irish News.

"We believe this situation to be unique in world football, whereby one national association may select two jurisdictions worth of players," he said.

"Clearly this puts the Northern Ireland team at a disadvantage.

"For more than 50 years, the agreed and established practice of the two national football associations was always to select only those players with a territorial connection to either jurisdiction.

"It seems therefore that the FAI is using the Belfast (Good Friday) Agreement as an excuse for breaking this longstanding policy.

"This FAI policy is driving a sectarian wedge between the two communities in Northern Ireland in regard to football.

"We are hugely proud to support a team that includes members of both traditions in Northern Ireland, and want to continue to do so.

"We want an end to Football Apartheid in Ireland."

Unknown_Genius said:
Add to that, there have always been Northern and Republic Ireland football teams since separation. I don't think thats the case with Rugby and Cricket.

Your right about the above. Already we can see small steps taking place. As we have a All Ireland Cup competition already in the Setanta Cup which is great for all sides involved. There has been bits of troble but its still going now and thats going now 6 years. Before the recession hit hard here there were high profile people looking into setting up a All Ireland league and there were a number of teams willing to sign up for it. Prizemoney was huge compared to what they get and its just what both leagues needs. To inject new money into the grass roots game both North and South. Who would know what would of happend if the recession didnt hit and the league got the go ahead but I wouldnt be shocked to see that happening and see a all Ireland team in the years to come.

noely said:
A lot of Northern Ireland fans have boycotted in protest of the many Northern Ireland born players that have and are being poached by the republic team

Do those same fans have a problem with English born (and raised) players like Lee Hodson, Adam Thompson, Johnny Gorman, Oliver Norwood, Josh McQuoid etc being poached by NI?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.