Norwich (H) | Post-Match Thread

Four thoughts from that game:

1) Jesus Off the Right - Well, that was fun, wasn't it? With all the rumours swirling around our striker position, getting such a dynamic performance from Gabby on the right was a breath of fresh air. He was agile and determined, pressing like a man possessed and creating goals for fun. That pass into Torres for the (wrongly) disallowed goal was sexy enough to get banned from OnlyFans. Definitely seems like a balanced front three would be LW - Foden / Sterling ... ST - Kane / Torres ... RW - Mahrez / Jesus. Grealish will be moved to the midfield, eventually, I'm sure.

2) Grealish Off the Mark - Our last two big signings have bucked the trend of players taking a season to settle in. Grealish and Dias have both looked at ease from the word go, and Jack scoring - even if it was scrappy - in his first home game shows that well. He's so composed on the ball! We've seen him 2.5 games now, and I've only seen him lose possession once. Pep will love that. If we play him in the midfield with Kev, with the power to drift out while Foden cuts in, that'll be one hell of a swirl of creativity that a player like, say, Harry Kane might love to have around him.

3) Laporte Back on Form - I hope this guy doesn't go. I know he didn't have to do much today, but he is a Rolls-Royce of a CB, and if he can strike up a dynamic partnership with Ruben then we'll have the best set of defenders in the world. I've said before, if Stones has another blinder this season, they Laporte is going. But if Laporte can get back into the team, then Ake will be the one to go and Stones will be the rotation option. Which, to be honest, is what I'd prefer. It remains to be seen if Laporte can create a partnership with Dias like Stones did, but this is a good first step.

4) We'll Miss Bernardo - What a player. With that high line we play, energy in the midfield to mop up any loose balls and keep the opposition penned in is so essential, and it's a real shame that we might have just seen this engine's last game for City. I think there's a slightly cavalier attitude around him going, or maybe it's just appreciation for the fact that he wants to live in a country that feels more like home, but in any case I hope everyone is aware what a tornado of talent will be leaving us. I wouldn't be surprised if we take a while to look on top gear again without him.

I was really impressed with the wings today. Walker and Cancelo, solid defensively and progressive with the ball. Two wide men with excellent movement, control and trying to get at their respective full backs. I really hope Pep sticks with this, it was the most consistently dangerous we have looked out wide for a long time. The thought of adding Foden, KDB and potentially Kane to that is mouth-watering.

I was really impressed with the wings today. Walker and Cancelo, solid defensively and progressive with the ball. Two wide men with excellent movement, control and trying to get at their respective full backs. I really hope Pep sticks with this, it was the most consistently dangerous we have looked out wide for a long time. The thought of adding Foden, KDB and potentially Kane to that is mouth-watering.
We don't need Kane. He would add nothing to the squad that is there already.

We have definitely been practicing those short bursts down the sides in between the full back and centre back. It worked beautifully today. Maybe Pep has found the key to unlocking deep packed defenses. Great game by all today. Only niggle is the standard of refereeing. Gundogan gets rightly booked for a late sliding tackle. A Norwich player does the same and its just a free kick.!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.