Nottingham Forest (H) | Sat 23rd Sept | PL | Post Match Thread

Consistency and common sense are mutually exclusive. However, the media have always preferred those referees who “allow the game to flow” as opposed to those who apply the letter of the law.

The best example is the 1991 FA Cup Final when Paul Gascoigne was clearly in a frenzied state of mind, before committing a stupid, horrific foul, in the opening minutes
David Elleray would have deemed it an automatic red card offence, and then been slaughtered by the media for not understanding the occasion, whereas Roger Milford looked the other way and let the game continue without so much as a serious word with Gascoigne or even Tottenham’s Captain.
Two minutes later he repeated the challenge and subsequently departed on a stretcher, with serious question marks hanging over his future career.

Without much effort I can immediately recall 3-4 occasions where Anthony Taylor has tried to use common sense, before seemingly panicking and thrusting consistency when it’s far too late.
One of the worst Forest fouls on Saturday was the one that led to Alvarez’ 2nd Free Kick. However, Taylor did nothing because he’d just carded somebody else.

He did exactly the same at Anfield last season, and previous games v Tottenham and Chelsea. Let loads of fouls go unpunished until nobody’s quite sure what’s happening, and then suddenly introduce the letter of the law.
The Forest players left a foot in all afternoon and Taylor ignored it and it no doubt played a part in Rodri losing it. It’s a regular thing when he does our games -he seems determined not to give us Fouls. At HT Saturday I was pretty confident we would pick up another Injury.

The Forest players left a foot in all afternoon and Taylor ignored it and it no doubt played a part in Rodri losing it. It’s a regular thing when he does our games -he seems determined not to give us Fouls. At HT Saturday I was pretty confident we would pick up another Injury.
Not disagreeing, but if that had been a Live TV game then Neville or Carragher would have been praising Taylor for keeping his cards in his pocket.
That's the hypocrisy of it all

it was clear after 20 mis forest could not handle city, so it was time to play shithousery with injuries, laying down, ball out of play, thought we where playing atletico madrid !

the ref was clearly not capable of controlling a game when a team like forest plays with this manner. He was to slow to respond on the rodri incident and again on the ederson one. Then he fell for the most idiotic trick in the book when the forest player dived to the ground like he had been strangled to get rodri sent off. Thought the referee controlled games not players, admit it Alty you got the game wrong.
Oh he didn't get it wrong, not in his mind anyway.
The cheating twat knew exactly what he was doing, not for the first time either.

Not disagreeing, but if that had been a Live TV game then Neville or Carragher would have been praising Taylor for keeping his cards in his pocket.
That's the hypocrisy of it all
We all know had the City players responded in kind what the result would have been. VAR has made the manipulation worse -eg the Gordon non Penalty yesterday at Sheffield Utd and Luton’s Penalty v Wolves and the endless VAR assistance to Utd to get a top 4 slot. All IMHO playing to a narrative as opposed to enforcing the rules of the game.

I seem to remember too that Demichelis had one of his best games for us. Took charge, no problems after Vin goes — “I"ve got this!” — reorganised from the back.

Just watched the highlights of that game back. Strangely, Vin's sending off is curiously like Rodri's. He is clearly provoked by the Hull player, who fouls him first. Otherwise, I think he's got the Hull player. He retaliates — a bit stupidly — and pays the price. And, like Rodri, is seriously annoyed by the whole thing.
God but I wish Erling had put that chance away, just to rub Forest's noses in our superiority.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.