Notts County away 1991?

City 1 Chelsea 1 1971

Did anybody hear Clive Allen talking to Keys and Gray yesterday lunchtime?

He told a funny anecdote about the time that Peter Reid made him train with the reserves for two months and then suddenly recalled him for an away game at Notts County.

Allen was sub and when Reid asked him to warm-up he deliberately ran towards the City fans knowing that he would get a great reception. The City fans were housed behind a large fence and Allen decided that if he scored he would attempt to scale it.

As he was telling the story Allen burst into hysterics as he described how he scored virtually straight away and climbed to the top of the fence with the City fans doing likewise on the other side.

He then recalled how City won a penalty and despite Reid choosing Steve Redmond as the designated penalty taker, Allen refused to give him the ball and took it himself. He scored and climbed the fence again
Apparently Reid called him into his office the following Monday and told him he would never play for City again.

Throughout the story Allen was pissing himself.

My only problem is that I don’t remember this particular incident. Was this the Sunday lunchtime game when Ian Thompstone scored? Was Neil Warnock the County Manager?
Also his story sounded like his goal at Port Vale in the FA Cup which I do remember

Remember both games...was in the notts County maine stand with more blues than home fans, loads there that day. Dont remember much about the game though other than Clive bagging 2 and us blues loving him.

Think for the cup game at port vale we were one down from Darren Beckford goal? We were behind net and been singing for Allen for ages..he came on, corner flicked on and he nodded it in for the equalizer...still not sure whether he was really that good just remember he was the best of what we had up front and despite his lack of pace always looked like scoring.

The situation regarding Clive Allen at City always puzzled me? Firstly my Dad wasn't overly impressed when we signed him I seem to recall? I was giddy at us paying over a million quid for a player as a 14 year old as it was the first time since Trevor Francis but my Dad (for whatever reasons?) didn't share my excitement.

Then after Machin left he was (at best) used sparingly by Kendall then almost virtually dismissed by Reid when it was obvious he was a decent striker.

However apart from the one amazing season with Spurs did he actually do much anywhere else?

Very nice bloke though and I know for a fact he applied for the managers job at Maine Road in the 1990's as he had a real feeling for City.

By the way if anyone has the link to this interview on Talksport could they be decent enough to provide it?

I was at this game, he did get a great reception when he came on but i dont remember him climing the fence and was in the bog for the pen so missed that.

I remember being really excited when we signed him. I was living in America at the time and my dad sent me a load of press clippings.

One thing I do remember about Clive Allen was that he was in the studio as a sky pundit when we played the gillingham playoff. After dickov's goal they went back to the studio for his 'unbiased' views. He said words to the effect of 'I just hope that city win the game now for these wonderful fans'. If any commentator said anything similar about our opponents the Agenda brigade on this forum would have gone into meltdown.

Blue Streak said:
The situation regarding Clive Allen at City always puzzled me? Firstly my Dad wasn't overly impressed when we signed him I seem to recall? I was giddy at us paying over a million quid for a player as a 14 year old as it was the first time since Trevor Francis but my Dad (for whatever reasons?) didn't share my excitement.

Then after Machin left he was (at best) used sparingly by Kendall then almost virtually dismissed by Reid when it was obvious he was a decent striker.

However apart from the one amazing season with Spurs did he actually do much anywhere else?

Very nice bloke though and I know for a fact he applied for the managers job at Maine Road in the 1990's as he had a real feeling for City.

By the way if anyone has the link to this interview on Talksport could they be decent enough to provide it?

I remember his last minute equalizer at Stamford Bridge when Chelsea thought they should have had a penatly at the other end.
No plastic Chelsea fans in those days. It was every man for himself after the final whistle.

I thought Allen was a good player, but signed at the wrong time.

I'll try and find the Talksport link. It was one of those interviews when you find yourself laughing before you've even heard the punchline. Also he was really complimentary about the City fans.

Was not a penalty they thought they should get, it was a free kick near the half way line. Brian Gayle barged into Kerry Dixon

It was windy that day, great goal

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.